Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTS blasphemy?

Advanced Taster

GTS blasphemy?

Using the proof calculator I estimated that I need about 2.5 parts of Stagg at 144 proof to 1 part water to get a final proof of 107 (which is about the hottest I like my bourbon).

I've been adding water in this ratio each time I have a pour and figured I could save some time by adding some spring water to the bottle and pre-mixing to 107 proof. So I did it. I now have full bottle of GTS right where I like it. But I feel like I've sinned somehow

Anyone else do this, or have you avoided doing this for some other reason, such as wanting to retain the option of tasting a really high proof product now and again?

Connoisseur

Re: GTS blasphemy?

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post
    Anyone else do this, or have you avoided doing this for some other reason, such as wanting to retain the option of tasting a really high proof product now and again?
    I don't do this but I've thought about it. I decided against it to simply keep my options open. I've always assumed that, more so than presenting the opportunity to taste bourbon at barrel proof, the intention of these bottlings was to give people the chance to play bottler (I'm not sure the correct term for this) and water it down themselves to their liking. Just seems like you took it a step further than everyone else and did the entire bottle rather than each individual glass. If 107 is the highest you'll go on proof to drink then I don't see any reason not to do this.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I never thought of this -- too much math for me -- but I don't see anything wrong with it. Seems smart, in fact. The point of barrel proof whiskey is to let the consumer pick the drinking proof. The point is not necessarily to drink them at barrel proof.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I made a similar post many years ago also using Stagg for my base whiskey. I think I used Stagg 2003 and brought the proof down to 100. I used a decanter, 1/2 bottle of Stagg and watered it down to 100. Suited me just fine and I left the remainder of the Stagg in the bottle for those that wanted the full proof version.

Randy

Taster

Blasphemy indeed...
    Sip slowly but sip often if my policy.

Taster

Blasphemy indeed...
    Sip slowly but sip often is my policy.

Guru

It's your booze... you paid for it... drink it the way you like it.

End of story.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Irreverent One

No, it's not blasphemous.

Me, I like keeping it at full strength just to impress my guests, most of whom have never encountered anything that strong.

ADDED VIA EDIT

Hey, I see I'm now an Enthusiast.

Think I'll celebrate with some GTS.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Hey, I see I'm now an Enthusiast.

Think I'll celebrate with some GTS.

George and I say "cheers" to your enthusiasm.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Here's my take:
    Once a bottle is unsealed (e.g., opened), it's essentially worthless monetarily. Therefore, I treat nearly all my open bottles equally -- any preserving is done based on rarity, and the resultant difficulty in replacement -- and drink them any way that strikes my fancy.
    Stagg is not that tough a find around here, at least within 2-3 months of release. So, I mix it with cola, I cook with it (I made peanut brittle with it around Christmastime. Excellent!), I vat it with other whiskeys. It's just another bottle on my shelf.
    Frankly, it's pretty versatile bourbon, so you're missing a lot of its endearing qualities if you DON'T do any of those things with it.
    Tim