Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Very Rare Old Heaven Hill BIB 10yr

I recently came across a bottle of VROHH 10yr, a bourbon I had not yet tried. I gather it is a reasonably priced bottling and to my palate is a decent pour. A few questions....

-Is this a current HH offering that is available?

-It says on the label that it is charchol filtered..... can a whiskey that is filtered still be classified as a bourbon?

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

Re: Very Rare Old Heaven Hill BIB 10yr

From what I understand....most bourbons are charcoal filtered. It seems that the process is something like this: they put some activated charcoal in the vat tank and swirl it for a while......and then you have charcoal filtered bourbon. Wow, quite a process.....and now you have it.

As far as VROHH Bib.....it should have a DSP # on the back of the bottle...if not, check the born on date. The last # of the year is alone before the last set of numbers. ie. xxx-xxxx-#-xxxx

If it is '06 or before, then you have original HH bourbon. I found some of this product in Ky a year ago, and have enjoyed it as some of the best HH bourbon available(in their own label).

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

Here are pics of all the #'s on the bottle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

I would be willing to bet that it was HH Bardstown from 1996, before the fire.

Mine is hard to tell that it's 100 proof....it is so soft and easy to drink. Very dry and subtle. I would not catagorize this as my regular flavor profile, but if this was the only style of bourbon available, forever.....I would be just fine with that. IIRC, $13 in Ky
    Last edited by mozilla; 05-03-2008 at 10:08.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

DSP ky31 is Heaven Hill.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    I would be willing to bet that it was HH Bardstown from 1996, before the fire.

Mine is hard to tell that it's 100 proof....it is so soft and easy to drink. Very dry and subtle. I would not catagorize this as my regular flavor profile, but if this was the only style of bourbon available, forever.....I would be just fine with that. IIRC, $13 in Ky
    Jeff, interesting that I too found it very soft and almost too easy to drink. It has a nice hint of sweetness and reasonable complexity. The finish was nice but a bit short. For $13 this is a steal.... at least for my palate. I sense that it has been discontinued.. do they have anything close in the lineup now?

Disciple

Help me out and tell me what part of the world your in?

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

When in Kentucky 2006 I did taste this (think it was in a Bardstown bar) and liked it. Very sweet and chewy. I did actually bay a bottle later in Louisville to bring back to Sweden. As I recall I didnít pay more that 10-12 USD for it and I did see it as real bargain.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Disciple

Sorry to differ with you Leif, I don't find too much sweet or chewy about this bourbon at all.

I find this to be further away from the EW pallet of fat and sweet, that 7yr 90 EW provides. This seems to be some whiskey that maybe sat on the bottom floor of the cold part of the warehouse for all ten years. Soft but complex.....dry and refined. Similar to what Wathens would go for in style. There is some sweetness to the nose, though it doesn't linger through the finish.

What you describe....I find also in the Dowling Deluxe 8yr and EW(dusties). More of the deep char and sugar levels, with deep fruits somewhat similar to caugh syrup.

If I have not said it already....VROHH is a great pour! Might not be what your used to from HH.....give one a try..................if you can find it.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Those who like VROHH BIB might consider buying Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bonded 10 years old. They are both 10 years old, bonded, from the same recipe. I don't say the palate is identical but it will be similar. I find both whiskeys share the light oily quality which most HH whiskey has up to 12 years (the EWSBs clearly are selected to avoid any hint of oiliness, but arguably these other two are the more complex whiskeys).

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-03-2008 at 15:29.