Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Travel Flask revisted

Some time ago I read an old thread here about travel flasks.
    Cowdery had one that seemed to be the best but hard to find now.
    Saturday I got one just like it from my Father-In-Law.
    Looks brand new.A glass 375ml bottle in a leather case.
    With two tops, one for the bottle and another one that fits over the bottle top to measure a one ounce pour.

He is in an assisted living home now and my wife and her sister cleaned out his spirits and other stuff.
    Nothing good to drink, the girls got some Drambuie, Irish Mist, Galiano, Chambord, B&B and even a Southern Comfort.
    Some months ago he did give me a bottle of Suntory he got in Japan in the '70's and an old unopened bottle of Jameson that still had a tax stamp on it. That Jameson was better than today's version, I could taste pear and kiwi fruit.

Anyway, it's a sad situation, seeing Mike with almost no memory.
    He asked me where I worked at, his attitude is good, he seems content.

I didn't mean to post all this extra stuff but Mike is one of the last of the best.
    His personality and whole life was something out of a Norman Rockwell painting.
    Born and raised on a farm in Ohio, served in WWII, college educated via the GI Bill, Ohio State of course, nuclear engineer for Detroit Edison, helped prevent a melt down at the Fermi Plant here in MI (look it up, "We Almost Lost Detroit).
    He went to work at the NRC inpecting nuclear plants in the '70's.
    I remember when the problem at Three Mile Island happened.
    He was living in MD just outside of DC and the next time we went down to visit it was amazing how gray his hair got in just a about 8 months since we saw him last.
    I asked him was it as bad as they say, he said we almost had a China Syndrome.
    I always thought he was interesting in his political views.
    He was an Ohio Farmer Republican, but he thought Regan was to old to be President and he never liked the first Pres Bush(silver spoon type, everything given to him) although he voted for both. Dole was the last Republican he voted for.

well I gotta stop, work is a-waiting,...but I got a great flask, to get back on topic.
    Last edited by OscarV; 11-17-2008 at 03:50.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Re: Travel Flask revisted

Congrats on the new flask. I have one in stainless steel, 8 oz., that is beginning to corrode. So maybe it's not as stainless as advertised. It's only ever had JD in it, so who could tell if the corrosion had an effect on the whiskey?

I think your father-in-law would be proud of the thumbnail sketch of his life.

Cheers,

Mark

Guru

Touching story Oscar..

For flasks, my favorite is the old WT 86.8 proof plastic over glass from the 80s - ~250 mls. I have a couple now. I love 'em. You can get the on auction for about $10 including shipping

I also just picked up an old time FRs pint bottle/flask from way back. Fancy glass, cork stopper (I put a new one in) with the metal cup topper for drinking. Looks real nice.

Taster

Certainly not as nice, durable or classy as the ones you guys have but I'm liking these:

http://www.disposableflasks.com/

You can get 'em in pretty much anywhere should you so desire, and at around a buck apiece, no biggie if they don't get you past two uses.

Connoisseur

are there some bourbons that are worthy of flask sipping? aside from the aesthetics of swirling and nosing (which are lost in 'flask-ing'.... ), are there some pours that work well in those quite limited and DEMANDING situations?
    HUP!

Connoisseur

I have several of the stainless steel hip flasks in various sizes. My favorite is a one ounce "key chain" model. I don't put it on my key chain but it will fit in any pocket. The perfect Starbucks companion.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

I got mine free from joining the Rebel Yell website. A 6 oz. stainless steel one, with Rebel Yell embossed on it. It's good enough for what I need it for. It fits nicely in the side pocket of my utility bowling bag. The bars at the bowling alleys don't have much of a selection of bourbons, so I take my own so I can have a "good" drink if I tire of JB White and MM. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Here is the one I use most often... these are great.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wild-Turkey-Flas...3286.m20.l1116
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WILD-TURKEY-WHIS...3286.m20.l1116

And no, these are not my auctions and if I did not already have two, I would buy them - if they were still full of the WT 86.8, I would have bolught them anyhow :clown:

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    are there some bourbons that are worthy of flask sipping? aside from the aesthetics of swirling and nosing (which are lost in 'flask-ing'.... ), are there some pours that work well in those quite limited and DEMANDING situations?
    This may sound a little dumb, but if I get a bottle that's a little funky (EC12 again) or harsh, I put it in a flask sometimes to cut down on the flavor and make the juice palatable. They say a large percentage of taste is smell, so taking the nose out of the equation sometimes helps make it go down easier. IMHO.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    This may sound a little dumb, but if I get a bottle that's a little funky (EC12 again) or harsh, I put it in a flask sometimes to cut down on the flavor and make the juice palatable. They say a large percentage of taste is smell, so taking the nose out of the equation sometimes helps make it go down easier. IMHO.

nope, not dumb at all! i would put something fine but 'lesser' like...the last BOTM (old taylor) or something to mix with (EBrooks90).
    HUP!