Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Knob Creek: Yay or nay?

Yeah, I'm with John B on this.
    Dining out I will have a KC after dinner if that is the best they offer.
    But that's it, I have been through 2 bottles and no more is necessary.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Like most here, I'm not a big fan of this one either. It's not bad, I've bought it twice, but now I pretty much only drink it if I'm in a bar and it's the best they've got.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Taster

My bottle of KC sees visits from me only rarely anymore, just so much outhere anymore. All in all not a bad bourbon just not an outstanding one either.

Connoisseur

KC is okay, but I like Very Old Barton 100 BIB much better... and it costs much less than KC.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Enthusiast

Eggman,

Like you, I'm sort of new to bourbon. I just tried KC for the first time over the holiday weekend. I quite enjoyed it on the rocks and I made a well-balanced "perfect" Manhattan which I sipped poolside with a nice murado cigar. It was a lovely way to watch the sun go down.

That said, I much prefer Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace, Weller Antique, and WT101- all of which are less expensive in my area.

In other words, I won't be buying KC, but I'll gladly take a free pour any chance I get.

Novice

I'm with most of the rest on this. KC was my introduction to "good" bourbon, several years back, and I appreciate it for that. But compared to most of the other stuff I've picked up since, it really can't compare on a value or flavor basis, as far as I'm concerned. It's better than the cheaper stuff Beam makes, I guess, but not better than cheaper stuff a lot of other distilleries produce. And certainly not up to things in its general price range.

Guru

Yay. For me it is a question of numbers. 9 yrs old, a higher proof and in these parts near or at the $20 mark.

I have no complaints when I offer it to visitors and enjoy it very much.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    ...near or at the $20 mark...
    I keep seeing that. For God's sake, stop it! It's never less than $30 here, and more like $32, then tax!
    Tim

Virtuoso

Like many here I regard the KC as being pretty good, but not a first choice. KC is about 26 bucks here and there are many bourbons (even with NH's limited selection) I'd pick before the KC. It's not bad, though and the $ to % ratio stacks up well in its favor. I had one recently in a hotel bar (the gal poured a big snifter 3/4 full! Thank God for inexperienced bartenders!) and enjoyed it.

The world of bourbon is full of options and I can't say that I've ever had one I would flatly refuse if push came to shove.

Cheers!

PS- Guess that means I give it a Yay!

Advanced Taster

Yay. I bought a bottle last week. I pick up a bit of orange in KC and drink it as a change of pace.