Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

american whiskey > 12-step training program

twelve different selections deep into the $22-$60 price range, pictured in the order they were emptied (from left to right).

I enjoyed them all, not a bad one in the bunch but some are clearly more interesting than others; and after lots of thought about them all - the only ones I'll be keeping in stock regularly are:

* Booker's
    * Pappy 15
    * ETL SB
    * VWFRR
    * GTS

I'm still on the lookout for a "can't live without" Four Roses expression, and the FR SB may be it - but I want to try one more bottle and some of the upcoming Anniversary too. A barrel strength one would be ideal to me as I incline toward the higher proofs.

And while I enjoyed both of the Wellers, quite a lot actually, the BTAC isn't quite $60-good to me and the 12yr isn't quite good-enough, so I'm on the lookout for a Weller expression that hits a homer for me. Which Weller should I try next?

I doubt I'll ever buy the ER 10yr SB again, and wouldn't go out of my way to get another bottle of the FR SmB again either. Baker's is good, but I'd much rather have Booker's. And Lot B is good but not nearly as good as Pappy 15, to me, and basically the same price.

Thanks again for your suggestions, it's been fun so far.

- David
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Connoisseur

Re: american whiskey > 12-step training program

Have you had the Weller Antique, 7yr/107pf yet? It's ridiculously inexpensive ($15-$22) for how good it is, and is on everyone's list for being among the best Wheaters and definitely near or at the top for best value. I like the Weller Antique 10yr/107pf even better, but it's pretty hard to find. It usually sells in the $25-$30 range, but well worth it. I would not be at all surprised if either or both of these bourbons hit the sweet spot for you.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Virtuoso

Another vote for the Weller Antique 7/107 (I've never seen any of the 'extra-aged' versions). Also pick up some ORVW 10/107 if you can.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    Have you had the Weller Antique, 7yr/107pf yet? It's ridiculously inexpensive ($15-$22) for how good it is, and is on everyone's list for being among the best Wheaters and definitely near or at the top for best value. I like the Weller Antique 10yr/107pf even better, but it's pretty hard to find. It usually sells in the $25-$30 range, but well worth it. I would not be at all surprised if either or both of these bourbons hit the sweet spot for you.

Mark,
    what is the deal with the Weller 10-107? Dusty or current? I have yet to hear of this one?

Jeff Mo.

Taster

I havent heard of it either, that means little I am sure. But I would love to know more about this Weller 10 year old. The only weller 10 year I knew of previously was the widely known Centennial thats been discontinued.

Taster

I too like the weller 7/107, I think it was about ten bucks, a worthy investment.

Bill

Connoisseur

Another vote for Weller 7/107...and I too would like to know where I could find the 10 yr, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Disciple

Since Mark hasn't replyed....I think that it might be one of the liquor store offerings. Maybe, a stores in Louisville had a 10 yr 107 bottled for them? BT has been known to make such an item.

Jeff Mo.