Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Not sure if this is vatting

Hi I'm new to this site and had a question about "vatting", I think.

I understand that bourbon doesn't mature in the bottle but it does mature in charred oak barrels.

I was considering buying a 1 gallon small charred oak barrel from a place down in Kentucky. They say its the same kinda barrels used for bourbon but smaller.

If I get the barrel and fill it with some of my favorite bourbons, what will happen to it if I leave it locked away in a safe place for a few years?

What happens to bourbon as it sits in the charred oak barrel? Does it gain in potency?

Or

What about a single gallon barrel with a serving spout to house a nice mixture of my favorite bourbons and periodically adding bits of ones I like to it over the years.
    With this idea I was worried about air.
    I figure the repeated opening and closing to add other brands, along with the barrel never being totally full might negatively effect it.
    Last edited by Dolomight; 05-27-2008 at 08:52.

Taster

Re: Not sure if this is vatting

Your describing re-barreling, this will not do any harm, in fact in some cases it can help a bourbon.
    In the second part your describing a living barrel. This can provide some interesting results, add some in and take some out.
    I dont have much experience with the process but I've tasted the results of a re-barrel and the results failed to suck.

What is this barrel source of yours?

Bill

Novice

Well the place that sells the barrels is http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/

When you say it failed to suck do you mean it was just barely good would have been better if it wasn't in the barrel?

Was thinking about re-barreling some old rip van winkle 10 year 107 proof maybe mixed a little bit with something else
    Last edited by Dolomight; 05-27-2008 at 20:55.

Taster

Thanks for the link, lots of neat ideas.

Quite the opposite it was very good!

Bill

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Dolomight View Post
    Was thinking about re-barreling some old rip van winkle 10 year 107 proof maybe mixed a little bit with something else

I would seriously reconsider that idea. If Julian VanWinkle says that bourbon is at it's peak....then the chance that you will make it better is very small. I would think that Rebel Yell would offer more of a chance to improve by a larger degree with some additional time within a barrel. Try an inexpensive label first....sip on some Pappy while you watch it age.

Have you read Dougdogs thread on rebarreling...very helpful!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Jeff Mo.

Taster

Jeff,
    you make a very good point, I read that pre coffie this morning and missed the part about using the Vanwinkle.
    Dougs is the rebarrel that I have tasted and it was very good, I am new here and didnt read his post yet but I am quite sure it is some great advise.

Bill

Connoisseur

Re-barreling is something I'm really interested in trying myself one of these days. Please keep us posted on what you decide and how it works out for you.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Enthusiast

Just remember that the smaller the barrel the faster it will "age" or, give off wood/oak qualities into the spirit.

Roger (Rughi), is currently rebarreling a young Willett in a barrel (larger than I have ever worked with). He first conditioned the barrel with bottom shelf ND bourbons (to take out some of that raw wood quality). If I rebarrel again, I will probably do the same. You'd be using a "used" barrel, yet it won't be anywhere near spent.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you do, it was a fun experiment when I did it!

Rebel Yell sounds like a good candidate for a second (or first) fill, although I would try for a higher proof 90-100--but then you'd be looking at higher expense. I'd rebarrel a wheated bourbon if I did it again.
    Last edited by jinenjo; 05-28-2008 at 10:31.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb