Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Inconsistent tasting bourbon.

I have bought three bottles of Elijah Craig 12yo over the past couple of months and two have been bad and one was phenomenal. Even my wife liked it. It was worth the 96 rating Jim Murray gave in his book. I just loved the stuff. The other two are horrible with a strong metallic after taste. Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: Inconsistent tasting bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by d_nelly78 View Post
    I have bought three bottles of Elijah Craig 12yo over the past couple of months and two have been bad and one was phenomenal. Even my wife liked it. It was worth the 96 rating Jim Murray gave in his book. I just loved the stuff. The other two are horrible with a strong metallic after taste. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I think we've ALL experienced this!
    Tim

Apprentice

Yes, but to this degree? This went from phenomenal to undrinkable. It's madness!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d_nelly78 View Post
    Yes, but to this degree? This went from phenomenal to undrinkable. It's madness!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, to this degree -- Elijah Craig 12yo is somewhat notorious for it.
    For example, I experienced my first bottle much like the two you describe as execrable. It was quite awhile, reading many positive comments about the brand by others, before I bought a second bottle. It was stellar, nothing like the first, and rich in all the right HH flavors.
    I bought a third bottle a year or so ago, which recently accompanied many glasses of ginger ale. While it wasn't as bad as the first, it wasn't near as good as the second, either.
    I shrug when asked whether or not I'll buy it again. The price is great for a 12yo -- but, only if you happen across a good batch. For the bad ones, I'd rather spend my money on this month's BOTM, Ten High, to go with my ginger ale.
    Tim

Virtuoso

I haven't tried the EC12 since I got burned on a horrid bottle of EC18. If they want to sell such inconsistent crap I'll spend my money elsewhere.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

I stopped buying any EC12 for just this reason.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I've purchased several EC12's, and have had good experiences with all. Kismet, maybe. And, my current bottle of EC18 is one of the best in my current rotation.

Just goes to show ya...

JOE

Apprentice

Tim,
    I Agreee I Would Rather Have A Low End Mixer Than The Bad Ec 12. But If You Can Get A Hold Of The Good Ec12, It Is Outstanding.

Connoisseur

I had that problem with EC18 too. Woody, metallic, astringent and painfully dry. It turned me off to all EC (12 or 18) until reading some positive posts here, and getting to try a very good EC12 I broke down and bought one of each. I guess EC is something of a gamble, so unless you're stocked up on other whiskeys you may want to skip this one.

I haven't opened mine yet, and they were older dusties (1980s) so we'll see...
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

I recently bought a bottle of EC12 after a long abstinence. Must have been memories of an earlier romance. Man, when will I learn. Not just disappointing --- but downright boring.

I swear, I swear I will never do this again.

EC 18, on the other hand has never disappointed. Extraordinarily dry finish that is remarkably improved with just a splash of water. Not an every day taste, but a mighty fine one.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."