Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloha, Y'all

Advanced Taster

Aloha, Y'all

. . . from a Tennesseean transplanted to the Big Island. I've been drinking whiskey for over 40 years in a rather unfocused and negligent manner. For many years Jack Daniel's was my benchmark whiskey, and there seemed no reason to vary much off the beaten path. When I was a youngster, Jack Black was 90 proof. It fell to 86 and then recently to 80. Well, if I want to water down my whiskey I'll do it myself. So I jumped ship to Maker's Mark. (I'd probably have shifted to George Dickel, but it's not readily available here). I was happily drinking this easy-going bourbon (MM) when a friend and transplanted Kentuckian gave me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkel's Family Reserve (20 years old), another of Four Roses Single Barrel, and yet another of Woodford Reserve Four Grain. In drinking these whiskeys, it is fair to say I have exprienced an epiphany.

Earlier this month I was in Tennessee to see my daughter graduate from college. I took the opportunity to visit the very friend, now living back in Kentucky, who a few months ago gave me the extraordinary whiskeys mentioned above. We drove from Somerset up to Frankfort and visited the Buffalo Trace distillery, doing the normal tour and then the so-called "hard hat" tour through the plant. What a gratifying and fascinating experience, made even more memorable in that I was celebrating my 60th birthday the same day BT was rolling out its 6 millionth barrel of new whiskey. We celebrated with them, although the "taste" of Buffalo Trace whiskey they provided us was on the small side. Really small. Disgracefully small.

While it should be evident I can lay no claim to expertise in bourbon whiskey, I now dare to call myself an enthusiast. It is as such that I look forward to sharing experiences with you. I've much to learn and some lost ground to make up.

Cheers!
    Mark

Re: Aloha, Y'all

Quote Originally Posted by marco246 View Post
    ... I now dare to call myself an enthusiast...
    Welcome, then, Mark -- you have come home here.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Great to have you here Mark, and looking forward to you contributions in the future!

You have haad some outstanding bourbons thus far, and I would say try the Pappy 15 if you like the 20 you'll love the 15. Maybe even visit the inexpensive side of things, Weller Antique 7/107 or W.L. Weller Special Reserve.

Cheers and enjoy yourself!

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

Mark, Welcome! These guys have really introduced me to some wonderful bourbons in just a few months, and I know they'll do the same for you!

-Joe
    "I think the most un-American thing you can say is 'You can't say that' " - Garrison Keillor

Welcome Mark! I can't really add much to what has already been said, but I'll try. As far as bourbons I would recommend; anything from Buffalo Trace (I prefer Eagle Rare 10/90), Woodford Reserve, and Old Forester Signature or one of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbons (2006 is pretty good). I will say I agree with PhilsFan about the learning experiences here on SB.com. I'm pretty new myself, and I've learned a lot in a short time. Again welcome, and as I have said to other new members, I'm sure you'll have some fun, learn a thing or two, and meet some pretty nice people. Aloha! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Aloha, Y'all

Hi, Mark. Welcome to SB.com. Wish I were there (Hawaii)!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Alooooooooooohaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Welcome aboard, Mark. Celebrates 60th birthday, daughter graduates from college, lives in Hawaii, discovers Bourbonia, joins SB.com...You 'da MAN!! Nice month! Congrats on all, and I look forward to your participation here on the site.

JOE

Advanced Taster

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I celebrated joining SB by picking up a bottle of Fighting Cock 6 year-old 103 proof KSBW yesterday. Sampled it last night. Words fail me. (I have yet to get into the SB tasting tutorials). But with watering eyes and gasping breath, I can opine: Not bad. (Cough, cough). Not bad at all.

Cheers!
    Mark

Guru

Welcome Mark. We need to get you some Stagg. Look forward to you posts. A toast to you with some MM.

Connoisseur

I think we'd all be interested in the state of bourbon availability in Hawaii. There's a lot of discussion of regional variations in distribution and laws, especially with respect to ultra-premiums like Pappy and 4R on the one hand, and old, out-of-production bottles, which we call "dusties," on the other.

Again, welcome aboard.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche