Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

yummmm - this Baby Saz is excellent

picked up my first bottle ($23 at my local Spec's), had four 1oz pours last night and another few (or so) tonight for both my friend and I. it's an instant favorite for both of us.

I mean - this stuff is really good, very candied to me - similar to Elmer's in that sense, though in a different way. very easy to drink, without being the least bit boring. yumm.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Disciple

Re: yummmm - this Baby Saz is excellent

After drinking a few or more bottles of Old Overholt through the years, I tried some Saz jr.

I will not be buying OO anylonger. The Saz if far superior in every way to OO. The amount of unique flavors that BT coaxes out of their rye is unbelievable. If you have not tried the Saz yet.....don't wait too long. A new favorite pour is on your horizon.

Glad you enjoyed it D!

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    If you have not tried the Saz yet.....don't wait too long. A new favorite pour is on your horizon.
    Especially the special bottling by Cork & Bottle in Covington. Outstanding stuff.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Under "Fun things to do with baby Saz," I would list vatting with Handy. I mentioned to another sb'er in a pm that I wanted to cut some '06 Handy with water, but I was out of bottled and spring water, only having tap. Not that municipal water is terrible here, but it's not great either. Remembering that Saz is the same mashbill as Handy, I decided to use that instead. I've done the same vatting with the '07, varying from Saz : Handy in 1:2 and 1:1 proportions. It works very well.

Anyone try something similar with Saz and Saz18?

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Mark, I have done this with the baby and the standard saz... makes for a multitude of drinks of saz from the same builds...

Connoisseur

Anyone vatted ryes from other producers? I'd be interested in a WT Rye/Saz or Ritt BIB/Saz vatting. I don't have any of those open right now, so I'll have to rely on someone else.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    Anyone vatted ryes from other producers? I'd be interested in a WT Rye/Saz or Ritt BIB/Saz vatting. I don't have any of those open right now, so I'll have to rely on someone else.
    I vatted BMH 18 and Ritt BIB at 1:1 but wasn't happy with the results. Per Gary Gillman's suggestion I tried 1:3 and that was better.

SOON I will get some Baby Saz. I'm sure I'll try vatting it with the BMH 18, which is both too expensive and too woody.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

Trying my first rye ever tonight, a baby Saz. It is a revelation, just fantastic.
    Just over twenty bucks here in NH, a great price for some truly extraordinary whiskey. I could drink this whole bottle tonight! This stuff really made my week.

Cheers!

Guru

Glad to here you've finally given it a try, Luna.

Its good stuff.

Disciple

I'm deep into my second bottle in a month from a fresh case. One of my favorites early in my American Whiskey career that I knew immediately would be an enduring presence.

In the past few months I've had Overholt, VWFRR, Russels Reserve, and Saz Jr. Shortly I'll have some much awaited Rittenhouse BIB, but I'm not confident that it will knock Jr. off it's perch.

This stuff is darn good and I'm confilicted about diluting it in a cocktail but I must try it in it's traditional fashion just to see what all the fuss was about.

Enjoy!