Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

New NY Based Bourbon?

Went to one of the local shops yesterday, and they had a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon and Manhattan Rye made by a company called Tuthilltown Distillery out of Gardiner, NY. They claim to have the first legal pot-distilled whisky made in NY since Prohibition and all of the corn in the bourbon is from NY. I have no idea how they taste since it was $39 for a 375 mL bottle.

Irreverent One

Re: New NY Based Bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Went to one of the local shops yesterday, and they had a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon and Manhattan Rye made by a company called Tuthilltown Distillery out of Gardiner, NY. They claim to have the first legal pot-distilled whisky made in NY since Prohibition and all of the corn in the bourbon is from NY. I have no idea how they taste since it was $39 for a 375 mL bottle.
    I bumped into their web site a few weeks ago. They also make a four grain bourbon, a malt whiskey, an unaged corn whiskey, a rum, and a vodka. It appears that only the vodka and unaged corn whiskey are available in 750ml size.

I was actually researching rum at the time and ran into a review of their rum. The review wasn't memorable so I guess the rum wasn't either.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Irreverent One

Just spent some more time looking at the web site. They describe their "Heart of the Hudson" Vodka as being made in a "20-plate copper pot still".

"20-plates" sounds like a column still to me, or, at best, a doubler.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

Their Hudson Manhattan Rye is supposedly good. I have yet to find any around here.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree Scott and I suspect they are using one of the stills sometimes referred to on the board as a European fruit brandy still, which is a pot still that has a rectification column attached. In other words, such a still can be adapted by the distiller to produce distillates at different running proofs, depending on what character he is looking for in the new spirit.

The bourbon and rye from this distillery I have tried were very young and not comparable IMO to a normally aged bourbon or rye, however I applaud what they are doing and in time believe they can produce some excellent bourbon and rye.

Also, it is evident that right now they are producing excellent spirits that do not require prolonged oak aging such as vodka and an unaged corn. It's a very positive development.

Gary

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I suspect they are using one of the stills sometimes referred to on the board as a European fruit brandy still, which is a pot still that has a rectification column attached. In other words, such a still can be adapted by the distiller to produce distillates at different running proofs, depending on what character he is looking for in the new spirit.
    Found this pic at their web site.

It does look a lot like one of Bavarian Breweries and Distilleries products, similar to this model.
    Scott

- Serge Storms

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I get into fights all the time with these craft distillers who make a big fuss about using "pot stills" when, in fact, they are using these hybrid stills that are more column still than pot still. About the only difference between one of these and a column still is that they are still batch process as opposed to continuous. They are pot stills but they are not alembic stills, which to me is the real point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Chuck, in my view the question is what distilling-out proof they are using for spirit intended as straight whiskey.

Also, I'd be interested to know if they draw from the shelves. Even if they are distilling spirit at, say 160 proof, if they are drawing secondary constituents from the trays, that is something atypical (I believe) in the tradition of making whisky or brandy or genuine tequila.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I get into fights all the time with these craft distillers who make a big fuss about using "pot stills" when, in fact, they are using these hybrid stills that are more column still than pot still. About the only difference between one of these and a column still is that they are still batch process as opposed to continuous. They are pot stills but they are not alembic stills, which to me is the real point.
    Pardon my ignorance on the subject, Chuck, but when using these hybrid stills aren't they avoiding the steam that is used in column stills. steam that would dilute the the mash as it is stripped of its alcohol and cogoner content. I guess what I'm trying to say, or ask, is that isn't all of the water in the final distillate, when using these hybrid stills, once a part of the mash whereas the same can't be said of column stills? And how does that effect the flavor. Does "distilling on the grain" in a column still make up for (flavor wise) any additional water in the final distillate that came from the column of steam as it vaporised the alcohol. I guess that question assumes all of these micro-distillers are distilling only the wort? Am I correct in that assumption?
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 06-03-2008 at 19:00.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Yes, people using any kind of pot still likely are distilling a wash, contrary to tradition.

I think these hybrids use steam, but not sure if your premise is valid, that introducing additional water dilutes the mash. Water is water and 160 proof is 160 proof.