Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 6/08: Bulleit

How does image affect your perception/enjoyment of Bourbon whiskey? Do you think that it doesn't? If it was really all about what's in the bottle, producers wouldn't go to the lengths or the expense of beautiful decanters with nostalgic folklore adorning the label. It's marketing people! Do you remember your first bourbon shopping experience? What made you pick up one bottle over the other, with no idea what either tasted like? Was it the pretty red wax, or the story of Lincoln's boyhood home?

This month's BOTM is something of a departure from the glam and glitz of the top-shelf, positioning itself in the old-school category. The really old-school category. Bulleit Frontier Bourbon Whiskey calls upon images of the rough and tumble American frontier of the late 1800s. It portends to be whiskey as the mythical American cowboy would have liked it. Old-style medicine bottle, label and a tall-tale of a story all add to the mystique. Of course whiskey back then probably bears little resemblance to this, a rather polished if slightly austere, modern bourbon whiskey.

Sourced from rick-houses of Four Roses by Tom Bulleit, Bulleit Bourbon is a solid product from a solid individual. Not to everyone's taste, but mass-appeal can be so boring. So strap on your six-shooter, belly up to the bar and throw back a shot or two of Bulleit Frontier Bourbon...or else!

Sound off

Last edited by jeff; 06-05-2008 at 05:50.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: BOTM 6/08: Bulleit

Perception is often reality, and Bulleit's packaging will encourage some to view the whiskey as a vigorous, even rough-at-the-edges product.

But it isn't like that at all. I'd put it at the higher end of the middle shelf. I'd put it above, say, EW Black or Jim Beam Black. It ranks with Weller 107 although with a different taste.

Unfortunately I find current samples not as good as the bottles first released. Initially it seemed to have a fine top-note of cinnamon red hots, and this put the product on the top shelf IMO. More recent bottlings have some of that nose and taste but not as much, and I find more woody notes in Bulleit than before (I'm speaking of the whiskey as it's tasted since first being made at Four Roses).

It's a good product which I will continue to buy, but I'm hoping it will return to the taste I recall from a few years ago.

Gary

Guru

It's been a long time since I've had Bulleit. I remember sharing a bottle with some friends while in Owensboro a few years back. I really did not care for it then. It was a little "rough" and unpolished. Haven't bought one since.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

I happen to like Bulleit, but I must admit that my palate is not as refined as many of you on this board. I am interested about pricing, as I think on a bang -for -the -buck basis this is a pretty good dram with a nice level of rye content. Here in PA it sells for around $22. I have seen it in NY for over $27, and I currently buy it at several places in Maryland for $15.49. Why the large price disparity?

Enthusiast

I had a bottle of Bulleit last month and while my pallet is not very refined either and I'm still a bourbon noob, I do recall Bulleit seeming a tad rough. I wound up using it as an element in my first vatting (which has now become a never-ending mix of odds and ends.)

Of course, since it is the BOTM, I think I'll grab a pint and see how it strikes me now that I've tasted a few other bourbons since my last drop of Bulleit.
    Last edited by OldJack; 06-05-2008 at 08:09.

Irreverent One

Fabulous. One I can get, have never had and have been wanting to try.

Great choice Jeff.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    Fabulous. One I can get, have never had and have been wanting to try.

Great choice Jeff.
    Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea. Fishnbowljoe made the suggestion for this month.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

I like Bulleit quite a bit, very good on the rocks.
    And yes I did fall for the story, bottle and label when I first saw it.
    In MI we can get it in both the 750ml and the 375ml which is odd because 375's are almost non-existence in the bourbon line.
    It must be popular here.
    ovh

Apprentice

I nearly bought this one over Memorial Day, however, WL Antique was the same price. I guess I will have to pick up the Bulleit this weekend!
    -R

“What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure for.” -Irish Proverb

Disciple

I am not a fan of this pour. Last time I gave it a run....I was overwhelmed by an industrial quality. Very raw and bitter.

I have a very hard time believing that Diageo is using only Four Roses juice for this one. Unless, Diageo has specified a certain style of product in their contract with Kirin, which I doubt. I would also be interested to know at what age Diageo is getting their supplies from Kirin and where it is warehoused afterwards. One would think SW would be a likely coulpret. I know that SW is holding product for some other distilleries so why not their own?

Does anyone have some info to help fill in the blanks?

We have bottles all the way up to the handle here in Texas. Sales for Bulliet were very slow at the store I worked for a few years back.....it just didn't have a good buzz with the bourbon crowd.

Jeff Mo.