Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: BOTM 6/08: Bulleit

Thanks Jeff. Was at the store last Sunday. The wife and son went grocery shopping while I hit the liquor department. My wife and son finished their shopping and I was still there trying to decide which new bourbon(s) I was going to buy. I got the "wife" look. That meant it was time to go. My son (he's 24) suggested Bulleit. (He even pronounced it right!) So, I grabbed a bottle, despite the fact that it wasn't on my list of bourbons that I was interested in trying. Later that night I tried it. Even though this bourbon is stronger than ones I usually have, it was much smoother than I thought it would be. Hmmmmmmmm? I tried a small taste straight, and then with some ice. Pretty good and not as harsh as I expected. When I added some Sierra Mist, Bam! The flavors jumped out at me. Bold, earthy, with a tinge of leather, and the biggest surprise was just a hint of something sweet in the background. The only way I can describe it is lavender, or maybe violet or plum. The name and bottle had me fooled. Frontier Whiskey! I was expecting something out of the old days that was gonna make my hair stand up. I think I've learned my lesson. Don't have any expectations or preconceived notions about what might lie ahead. Just take any bourbon as it comes to you. Taste and enjoy. Maybe I'm finally starting to get the hang of things a bit. Thanks to all for help in my enlightenment. It's much appreciated. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

I am quite a fan of the 90 proof US bottled Bulleit that we used to have in Australia. I still have a couple of bottles in my stash.

Now, we have an 80 proof version that is bottled in the UK.
    I asked Jim Rutledge about it and he said Diageo would like more product than FR will supply them so he suggested they have cut it to make it go further.
    The 80 proof bottling is far from great. I suspect they cut it with water out of the Thames.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Irreverent One

Picked up a bottle on the way home. This month it's on sale, $21.95 instead of the usual $25.95. Talk about perfect timing.

Nose features corn, rye (I believe I read in Chuck's book that it's 30%, the highest of any bourbon), and, I swear, the faint aroma of roasted marshmallows. Palate entry is smooth and remains so. Nice flavors of corn, rye, nuts and a little wood. Just a little burn on the finish.

A very good, but not great, bourbon. Not likely to replace my standard pours (BT and Weller Antique) but an interesting bourbon to have around because of the high rye content.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle a couple years ago and found it pleasant, and it didn't sit on the shelf half-finished for a long time, but I've not been tempted to buy another.
    Craig

Guru

I gave this a shot about 6 times before I decided it was not my bag. What I have done since is mix it (3 parts WTRR90 to 1 part Bulliet) to get a much better product.

It gave the RR90 some body and the Bulliet some refinement. The Bulliet is so stout that it took a 3:1 to get balance.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Excellent vatting!

Gary

Taster

I like Bulleit on the rocks and often use it to mix drinks. While it is not my favorite to drink straight straight, I am a big fan.

I had a chance to have a few drinks with Tom Bulleit while I was in Kentucky and was blown away by what a great guy he is. Chatted for a few hours about everything under the sun. Had nothing but good things to say about all of his competitors. I was definitely a bigger Bulleit fan when I left than I was before I showed up. First class in my book.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Excellent vatting!

Gary
    Thank you sir... It 'tis tasty.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Excellent vatting!

Gary
    I wonder if that would work with WT RB (don't have any RR 90).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Bold, earthy, with a tinge of leather, and the biggest surprise was just a hint of something sweet in the background.
    Yeah,...and I'll also say that Bulleit is very under rated here on SB.com.
    ovh