Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 6/08: Bulleit

Sometimes here in eastern kansas we can get this at 15.99 a bottle. The whole prodcut line seems to be available here 50ml, 200ml, 375ml, 750ml, 1L, 1.75L. This isnt a bad bourbon, raw and somewhat unpolished good mixing especially and occasionally straight.

Guru

ranwill,

Welcome to the board. Yet another MI guy. How's life in Bay City? I grew up on the other side of the thumb (many years ago now).

Will

Novice

See, I'm pretty new to tasting and reviewing, but I know when I like something and I like this bourbon. Others refer a "raw" charcter and I agree that it is somewhat untamed. But, in that remark I hope to convey unadulteration and respect to whiskey's past. Thank you for drawing my attention to this great product.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassboozer View Post
    ...But, in that remark I hope to convey unadulteration and respect to whiskey's past...
    Not a criticism, mind you, but a curiosity: how old is the oldest bourbon/whiskey you've ever tasted?
    Tim

Enthusiast

I find it an excellent choice when I want something the exact opposite of Maker's Mark-- something dry, spicy, and oaky. I'll be the first to admit that it is a little rough around the edges. But, when you want a Sazerac cocktail and your bar doesn't have a Straight Rye, then this is the one I look for.

It's also great in a Manhattan.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Advanced Taster

boss302,

Interesting you should mention Maker's Mark in relation to Bulleit. I'm pretty new to all this, but for now MM is my "benchmark" bourbon--the standard I measure others by.

Picked up a bottle of Bulleit a couple of days ago and tasted it straight up last night. Bulleit falls well short of MM to me. It is sweet, hot, earthy and dry. And a little rough. Doubtless there are other things going on, and as I get experience maybe I'll alter my appreciation. Tonight I'll try it over ice and see what happens.

Cheers,
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Well, I dropped a shot of Bulleit over one ice cube last evening and it was, as my Tennessee grandpa used to say, "tolerable", which meant better than tolerable and not bad at all. I taste sweet corn.

The old timey bottle is pretty cool, looking like an overlarge version of the little opium bottles used by Oriental sugar cane workers here a century and more ago.

Cheers,
    Mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by marco246 View Post
    Well, I dropped a shot of Bulleit over one ice cube last evening and it was, as my Tennessee grandpa used to say, "tolerable", which meant better than tolerable and not bad at all. I taste sweet corn.
    Quote Originally Posted by marco246 View Post

The old timey bottle is pretty cool, looking like an overlarge version of the little opium bottles used by Oriental sugar cane workers here a century and more ago.

Cheers,
    Mark

through a splash of a wheatear bourbon on it and watch it blossom

Virtuoso

I tried hard to like Bulleit but it never really got to me. It's good bourbon, I love the bottle, but I never found much in Bulleit to hold my interest. I bet it'd be better on the rocks than neat, but I always drink neat.
    It sure was good splashed over some sauteed mushrooms, though. Not assertively sweet, just the right amount of corn and alcohol to enhance the flavors of the mushrooms.
    All that said, I didn't dislike it enough to not give it a second chance.

Cheers!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Not a criticism, mind you, but a curiosity: how old is the oldest bourbon/whiskey you've ever tasted?
    Hello, friend! When I was 8 (1930 or so) we pilfered mooonshine, weekly, from my friend's dad, a farmer. When I was 10 I had Napoleon cognac at a wake and continued to nip at it , because my rich aunt preferred it, for a couple of years. At 12 we started getting Old Crow from a local scoundrel and drank it on hot days when fishing. Mind you, there were 5 of us and we tippled all day from a pint! From then on, through the war, I drank countless, nameless brands which were ALL cheap. In the 50's I began buying bourbon, of many brands, that cost a few bucks more. In those days, no one that I knew considered lushing it up much of an art form! So, I can't recall any details. In 1967, I bought a bottle of Napoleon and was, frankly, disappointed. Too, refined, I can only say. I found a stoneware jug of Henry McKenna and was hooked. Please forgive me for venturing an opinion which sounds as though I have a refined, defininng palate. I am truly a lug! I may not have added much to the discussion. But, while I like a smooth bourbon now, a glass of Bulleit sparks my younger days. That's my best way to describe it. I looked into your history, via your profile, and am in awe. I wish you were my neighbor. I could pick up a lot from you!