Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Does your spouse drink bourbon?

Had to smile at that one. Val's developing some good taste, Randy. BTW what did you think of the Dorado 12?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I find the Dorado 12yo to be one of my favorite rums, particularly at the price. The 15yo is good too, but costs about $15 a bottle more than the 12yo. I find both to be better balanced than the Zapaca 23yo (sp?). I don't drink a lot of rum neat, but usually keep an El Dorado in the house. BTW, they have been hard to find in Houston lately.

Randy

You'll have to try my blend of El Dorado 12, El Dorado 15 and a touch of Angostura ... (can't recall the name, it is their 12 years plus version in the large-neck bottle with red-topped stopper).

My goal was to keep all the ages at 12 or above and dry the flavor just a bit since the 12 can be a little sweet at times (very good after dinner though). The 12 and 15 are similar but the 15 is a little drier and older-tasting. The Angostura is the aged pot still flavor (I get rubber!) discussed earlier that is contained also in the Dorado 12 and 15, so it's just adding a bit more of what is already there.

It is a very good blend I think, better than the constituents on their own.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    You'll have to try my blend of El Dorado 12, El Dorado 15 and a touch of Angostura ... (can't recall the name, it is their 12 years plus version in the large-neck bottle with red-topped stopper).
    That would be the 1824.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    My goal was to keep all the ages at 12 or above and dry the flavor just a bit since the 12 can be a little sweet at times (very good after dinner though). The 12 and 15 are similar but the 15 is a little drier and older-tasting. The Angostura is the aged pot still flavor (I get rubber!) discussed earlier that is contained also in the Dorado 12 and 15, so it's just adding a bit more of what is already there.

It is a very good blend I think, better than the constituents on their own.
    Hmmm...I can get the two El Dorados but the only Angostura I can get is the 1919, which is 8yo.

What are the proportions you use?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

1824, yes, thanks, it is 12 years old. I would not use the 1919 for this much as I like it, it is too "golden" in style. You need a dark reddish style such as 1824, Dorado 12 and Dorado 15 are (and not just any dark rum but ones with that characteristic orange peel/rubber-like taste these oldies from Guyana and Trinidad have, it seems a regional taste almost since I haven't encountered it elsewhere as yet).

You don't need the 1824 though. Just use the other two. I use 3:1 or 4:1 12 to the 15. It dries the 12 down just that little bit you need and deepens and lengthens the flavor.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-18-2008 at 17:58.