Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Father's Day suggestion?

Hi everyone,

I'm Angel, and I'm glad to have found you all! My husband will be celebrating his first Father's Day this year. We are both bourbon fans (him more so than me), so I thought a really nice bottle would be appreciated. We've enjoyed Fighting Cock, Maker's, Knob Creek, Evan Williams, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Basil Hayden's, and Woodford Reserve. He recently got (and worked through) Russell's Reserve as well as the Russell's Rye. I'd like to get something nice for him, but he won't enjoy it if it's too nice, so I'm thinking something between $40 - $60, or maybe a little more. I'd love your suggestions! Thanks in advance - it's nice to find such a knowledgable group!

Angel

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Father's Day suggestion?

It's hard to beat Blanton's for this type of gift. It runs less than $50, comes in very impressive packaging, tastes great and perhaps best of all, its widely available. There are better tasting choices out there, IMO, but many of them are hard to locate......and since you didn't say where you live......I'm going with Blanton's.

Randy

Thanks, Randy! I will take a look at that one. Sorry, forgot to say that we are in Colorado.

Angel

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Another one to look at is Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. It too should be in your price range, and also comes in a pretty nice bottle.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

Welcome to the Board!

I hope ya'll find something that keeps you coming back.

I seem to always come from a different angle....so, I say, get two bourbons for that price and have a little head to head tasting with each other. I prefer Bottled in Bond bourbons and ryes(100 proof), because they usually taste closer to what came out of the barrel.

I hope ya'll enjoy your bottle together and good luck with your choice.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Angel,

Welcome aboard, even if it's for only a short time.

Sometimes it's tough to choose between the slightly new and the totally unique. Perhaps that's a matter of personality as much as anything.

Because Knob Creek and Basil Hayden's have passed muster, Booker's might be a logical next step. Same mash bill, but different age and much higher proof. (Add water to suit your taste.) Furthermore, it has a certain cachet because of the association with Booker Noe, who was a giant in the world of bourbon, both literally and figuratively.

Blanton's, which someone has mentioned, is also a good candidate for the reasons given.

However, to my taste Rock Hill Farms is the bourbon Blanton's wants to be when it grows up. Most people here have a distinct preference for one or the other, although I can think of one who likes both equally. For subtlety go with Blanton's; for assertiveness go with Rock Hill Farms.

For something very different I'd suggest just about anything with "Van Winkle" in the name. One example is Van Winkle Family Reserve rye (not a bourbon, but very close). Another example, a polar opposite to VWFRR, is Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o. Like Maker's Mark its mash bill contains wheat instead of rye. Unlike Maker's Mark its age adds complexity to the normally somewhat sweet and mild taste of wheat-recipe bourbons.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

I can only second all of the suggestions that were made in the earlier responses. I would like to tell you that your husband will appreciate your asking on this board for your selection, it shows you want the best for him.

Now, once you make your selection please do two things.

Let us know what you decided and call my wife.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions - I'll take them with me when I hit the liquor store. And SBOMarc - just give me a phone number!

We broke into the Eagle Rare tonight - very smooth, very mellow - maybe too much so? It seemed a little tame over ice. But I used a little to make the maple bourbon ice cream recipe from the food thread, and found it to be perfect for that.

Angel

Advanced Taster

+1 for Booker's, and anything with Van Winkle on the label - especially the Rye (Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye) or the Pappy Van Winkle 15yo/107proof. All outstanding, and in the $45 range.

But I think Jeff/Mozilla has a great point... and in the less expensive range I highly suggest the Elmer T Lee Single Barrel (about $22). It's fantastic, unique, and inexpensive. Great bourbon.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Guru

Hard to know what you might have available where you are but at the price point you gave, you have many potential and multiple choices available. I's suggest the pours already suggested and add:
    • Elijah Craig 18 (stay away from the 12 year old)
    • Evan Williams single barrel (almost any year)
    • anything with Van Winkle on the label
    • any of the Eagle Rare expressions
    Hope both of you continue to hang around to learn and explore!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."