Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello from North East Ohio

I've been reading this forum for about two weeks now and really like how much information is shared in such a friendly way. I'm a medicinal drinker, I have a very nasty nerve disease called trigeminal neuralgia and so far the only relief I've found is from a mouthful of liquor. My condition is bad enough that it keeps me from working normal jobs so I am only able to afford the less expensive bottles.

I'm looking for recommendations for the biggest bottles I can get for the least amount of money. As soon as I can get a ride to the state liquor store today I've got about $25 to spend and I'm thinking about getting a big bottle of Ten High after reading about it in the BOTM. My last bottle was a bottle of Christian Brothers brandy, I can get a decent sized bottle of that for about $15.

I'm open to any suggestions on good pours that give me the most bang for my buck. I drink either neat or mixed with Pepsi or ginger ale, depending on my pain level. Also I'd be interested in meeting other bourbon drinkers in my area that would like to get together and knock back a few.

Jacob

Irreverent One

Re: Hello from North East Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by rocks View Post
    I've been reading this forum for about two weeks now and really like how much information is shared in such a friendly way.
    Welcome to the board Jacob.

I'm a medicinal drinker, I have a very nasty nerve disease called trigeminal neuralgia and so far the only relief I've found is from a mouthful of liquor. My condition is bad enough that it keeps me from working normal jobs so I am only able to afford the less expensive bottles.
    Just looked that up.

Oh. My. God.

I'm looking for recommendations for the biggest bottles I can get for the least amount of money. As soon as I can get a ride to the state liquor store today I've got about $25 to spend and I'm thinking about getting a big bottle of Ten High after reading about it in the BOTM.
    Evan Williams Black Label is a good inexpensive pour, better than TH. You should be able to find a 1.75 of that under $20.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Thanks, I'll check on the Evan Williams as soon as I can get a ride to the state store. I'm hoping to get there today.

I know, trigeminal neuralgia is also known as "the suicide disease" because many people can't get relief from any medications. I'm one of them. It is also considered to be one of the most painful conditions known to medicine. When I go to the ER they know me and hook me up to a morphine drip as soon as I walk in the door. Unfortunately, even the morphine doesn't even take the edge off the pain, but its the most potent thing they have. Thankfully while researching to try and find something that would help I found that people were saying that alcohol helped them. I tried and sure enough it did work. I think its because it absorbs into my gums and numbs the nerve.

I started using Christian brothers brandy, I would just let a good healthy sip sit in my mouth for 4-10 seconds and it helped almost instantly. Now I'm researching to find the most bang for my buck. The CB is a decent price, but I'm still searching to find better so I can stock up. Also, since I'm going to be drinking anyway, I might as well enjoy it

jacob

Virtuoso

Jacob, sorry to hear of you condition, but very happy you found this site! It's a great group here I hope you enjoy yourself.

As for cheap 1.75's EWBL would be great or if you can get the W.L.Weller SR should be in your price range an I like it quite a bit.

Welcome aboard!

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

Hey Jacob,

Glad that you came aboard! There are tons of great recommendations on the site. Depending on your tastes for either young or old whiskey.....I would recommend two. Wild Turkey rye (young and sassy) and Weller 107(older and more developed). With the high alcohol content, you wouldn't have to use as much, per drink. This would also keep the number of trips to the store at a minimum. So, what ever you decide....go for the higher proof, it also, translates to a better flavor.

Jeff Mo.

Thanks for all the great advice! I've got $46 to spend and my ride should be here shortly. I'll post what I got when I get back. I am hoping to get two big bottles of something, but until I see what they have I'm not sure what I'll get. but I do intend on getting more than one brand so I can sample them and see which I like best.

I do know I've always liked crown royal and christian brothers brandy. So if that helps to give you an idea of my tastes, I'm always open for suggestions. I remember my dad had a bottle of some kind of rye, I think it was called kummel - I hated it. it tasted like rye seeds amplified to the 100th power and was not at all to my liking. Are all ryes like this?

jacob

Disciple

All ryes are different. Usually, the older and higher proof versions have been better examples. They do get a little pricey some times. Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond is probably the leader in $$/ flavor.

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Another good "cheaper" is McAfee's Benchmark. To echo previous recommendations, my top five inexpensive jugs (in order of preference) are:

Weller Special Reserve
    Evan Williams Black Label
    Very Old Barton (if available)
    McAfee's Benchmark
    Ten High

Incidentally, these are ranked in order of price (high to low).

Does proof matter? There are a couple of high-proof whiskeys that may do the trick. Fighting Cock 103 (a little more expensive) is about the best bang/buck ratio when you account for flavor.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Well, I got $46 to spend, wish me luck and I'll grab what I can and let you know what I found. With a little luck some of them might be on sale. Is it best to sample them on separate days? or can I rinse with water and sample the next?

My ride is here, wish me luck!!!

jacob

Enthusiast

I did some searching at this website
    It looks like these bottles are available in Ohio. Disregard the
    recommendation for Weller...too pricey down there.
    Also, Fighting Cock 103 is not available. Not a huge loss

Anyway, here are some state stock numbers to help you in your search.

Best of luck!

0850B BENCHMARK BOURBON 8 YEAR $ 8.20 TO $ 8.30 $ 8.95
    OZS. PER BOTTLE: 25.4
    PROOF: 80.0

0850D BENCHMARK BOURBON 8 YEAR $ 17.20 TO $ 17.45 $ 18.95
    OZS. PER BOTTLE: 59.2

9535B WELLER RESERVE BBN $ 21.15 TO $ 21.45 $ 22.20
    OZS. PER BOTTLE: 25.4
    PROOF: 90.0

0104D TEN HIGH $ 17.45 TO $ 17.70 $ 19.25

2948D EVAN WILLIAMS BBN $ 24.65 TO $ 25.00 $ 26.55
    PROOF: 86.0
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut