Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Hello from North East Ohio

I'm back, two bottles of heaven hill 90 proof and a bottle of mcafee benchmark 80 proof in my hands. I couldn't find any bartons, fighting cock or WL weller. They did have the Evan Williams, but the heaven hill was right next to it, a bigger bottle and 90 proof for only $2 more, so I grabbed two

I'm going to try the Heaven Hill tonight, I'll let you know what I think of it. I had a bottle of rebel yell in my hands but I was about 40c short so I had to put it back. Oh well, I got three bottles to start with and I'm happy.

jacob

Welcome Jacob, Sorry about your condition. Hope some of the things you'll find out here will help. Ask anything you want. I'm sure someone will be able to help, and if not they have a way of finding things out. The people on this site are great. Some folks have already given you some good recommendations. I like Rebel Yell, but it's a wheated bourbon, and only 80 proof, so it might not be a good choice for your needs. Don't let the names of some bourbons fool you. I've made that mistake before. Keep checking the threads and asking questions. You'll get the hang of things in no time. Best of luck. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

This is by far the friendliest forum I've ever found. And names don't make me buy bourbon, taste does. If I was buying something for the name I'd problably be making stupid choices like JD, but even before I knew better from reading here I never liked JD. Although I will admit to polishing off quite a bit of Jim Beam Choice and black label in my past - please don't hold that against me

I'm going to crack open the heaven hill in a little bit, its still too hot to think about knocking back a shot. After reading some other threads here I'm considering trying some vatting once I have a little more to work with. Right now I've only got the heaven hill and the mcafee benchmark, will either of them be good to work with for vatting? And, what would I use with them to create a good vat?

jacob
    Bourbon & Guitars make life worth living!

Connoisseur

Don't know what therapies you've tried or what your insurance situation is, but there are effective treatments for extreme cases. There are minimally invasive surgical procedures to ablate the nerve (trigeminal ganglion) that triggers the pain. Another option is stereotactic radiosurgery--a one time radiation zap to the nerve with minimal risk to normal tissue. See a neurosurgeon at a large/university medical center if you can. Case Western and Ohio State may be in your area.

Good luck, hope you get relief. Glad you enjoy bourbon, but don't think it's a good long term solution for T.N.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Insurance is the issue, I have none. My Doc also suspects that I have MS but I haven't been able to afford to get the tests done. I've been forced to use the emergency room when I need to see a doc but they can't do much. They basically only make sure I'm not dying and then tell me to see a doctor. I've tried everything to get assistance so I can see a doctor but they keep turning me down even though my family doctor is telling them I need surgery and constant medications.

The T.N. is only one of my health issues, I also have 3 bad disks in my back, can't walk without a cane most days and suffer from insomnia. When I was in PA a doctor there gave me valium and it helped a lot with the insomnia and also all but stopped the T.N. attacks. Now that I'm back in Ohio no doctor will renew the prescription because they say its too addictive and they turn around and write me a prescription for narcotics instead. It doesn't make any sense to me since they are just as addictive and have bad side effects that prevent me from taking them. For one, They make me feel like I drank way too much coffee, constipate me and they don't help the pain at all. So they leave me in pain, wide awake and knot up my stomach. I don't even bother filling the prescriptions any more because they are a waste of money.

Jacob

Trippah and Admin

Welcome to the board, Jacob. I just did some reading about TN and it sounds horrible, but I'm glad that you found something that gives you relief.

I see that Dr. Francois gave you a link to the ODLC monthly price list. Keep that handy as they update the info toward the end of each month and you can check out pricing and such before you head out to the store. You're fortunate that Ohio has no shortage of big bottles of inexpensive bourbon available.

What part of NEO are you in? I'm up along the lake in Willowick.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

I'm in Willoughby, right up the road from you off lakeshore.

Jacob

Trippah and Admin

When you get toward the bottom of your current supply, I'll be glad to make a state store run for you if your other transportation isn't available. Just PM me and I'll be more than happy to give you a hand. Shoregate Beverage and Willo Beverage, both have plenty of 1.75's of bourbon in stock all the time.

I'll fly, you buy.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Thats sounds like a deal! I've been going to the state store in the Giant Eagle in Mentor on the Lake. Would be good to see what the other stores have in stock.

jacob

Connoisseur

While it's great that you share our enthusiasm for bourbon, it seems that you have bigger issues. I hope you're not becoming dependent on the alcohol for relief. Health care workers will likely be less sympathetic if you are, despite your underlying conditions. Have you had a brain MRI? That would help evaluate for the presence of MS. Do you have a social worker; I don't know how the Ohio systems work, but there could be options at public teaching hospitals--even some of the advanced treatments may be available.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ