Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Morton's Steakhouse Bourbon Tasting

I just received an email regarding a series of bourbon tastings to be held over the next several months at Morton's Steakhouse locations thoughout the country. There's not a lot of info on their website regarding details, though it may be involved with Beam. See http://mortons.com/show_promo.php?id=Bourbon for details.

I'll be contacting them for details. Will forward when I hear something

JOE

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Morton's Steakhouse Bourbon Tasting

I'd be interested in seeing who is their "expert" and what they are pouring. If looks decent, I'll be going to event in Houston.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing who is their "expert" and what they are pouring. If looks decent, I'll be going to event in Houston.
    Well...I'm available, if they're looking for someone to host the tastings...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Angry Re: Morton's Steakhouse Bourbon Tasting

unbelievable. the one in my local Morton's is the one week I'm on call this summer.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

I cannot help but think that we all drink better stuff for much less cost than what will be offered in this tour...

Virtuoso

In the past Morton's has not done a great job with the wine, cigar and spirits events, at least in the DC area.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Here's the reply I got:

Thank you for your interest in our Bourbon event. Our event is August 14th from 6PM - 7:30PM and the cost is $45 per guest. We will be serving appetizers and the following drinks: Knob Creek Mint Julep, Baker's Washington Apple Booker's Manhattan, Basil Hayden's Southern Citrus Smash.
    The Whiskey Professor, Bernie Lubbers, will talk about 'Bourbon...The Journey from Barrell to Bottle.'
    I am attaching the Whiskey Professors Bio for your review.

Bernie Lubbers is a true Kentucky gentleman with
    unmatched charisma for bourbon, a sense of humor and a bottle of Knob Creek on him at all times.
    Born and raised in Louisville, Ky. – the home of bourbon – Bernie grew up
    around the family business of beer brewing. A former comedian and star of his own one-man play, he is entertaining, and he can also tell you more about bourbon than you ever thought you could know.
    While performing at Comedy Off-Broadway in Lexington, Ky., Bernie was
    discovered, but not by a Hollywood agent. Rather, he befriended a man who worked for Beam Global Spirits & Wine, who was aware of a newly created position within the company for someone to travel the country and teach consumers about bourbon – specifically small batch bourbon. With his Kentucky roots, quick wit and passion for the liquor industry, Bernie seemed an ideal candidate.
    The folks who were hiring – including Fred Noe, son of Booker Noe, who created the small batch bourbon category – wholeheartedly agreed.
    Bernie underwent in-depth training at the Jim Beam distillery with two of the best in the business, Master Distiller Jerry Dalton and Fred Noe. He learned about the distilling process and how to nose, sip and taste the spirit. He was also taught to identify the subtle nuances, such as color, age and proof, among various bourbons.
    Today, Bernie serves as one of three Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey Professors who travel the American Whiskey Trail in an effort to educate and entertain bartenders, bar and restaurant owners and consumers about America’s native spirit. He is a master of the unique skill of label reading – using a bottle’sl abel to identify what is and isn’t bourbon, specifically the differences between Kentucky Straight Bourbon and whiskey.
    When not on the road, you can usually find Bernie among friends sharing his bottle of Knob Creek and his latest joke. Like fine bourbon, Bernie keeps getting better with age and has a thirst for knowledge that cannot be quenched.
    For questions or comments, you can reach Bernie at BernieLubbers@hotmail.com.

$45 for three cocktails .... I'll pass.
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"

Virtuoso

Clearly this event is geared to the metro-sexual bar crowd who like their bourbon mixed so they can't taste the bourbon. Other than the Manhattan I am not sure why they don't use rail bourbon rather than wasting a decent pour..... I guess you couldn't get $45?

The Morton's in this neck of the woods have typically had a very limited bourbon offering with Makers and Knob being the top end...
    Last edited by cigarnv; 05-16-2008 at 10:44.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Trippah and Admin

After seeing that the schedule for the tastings included Ohio, I figured that it would be a Bookers/Bakers/Basil Haydens/Knob Creek format. I can't think of another distillery with a full enough line available here to support any kind of a tasting except maybe BT with BT, ER and Blantons.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

My favorite:

"He is a master of the unique skill of label reading – using a bottle’s label to identify what is and isn’t bourbon, specifically the differences between Kentucky Straight Bourbon and whiskey."

What a guy! How many of us have this "unigue skill"? Ummmm .... everyone?
    Dale

"All I want to know is who's the player on second base?"