Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking this moment?

We had a Kentucky Bourbon Circle tasting here in Las Vegas and I asked Booker's son about Masterpiece being a bourbon. He told me that they checked with the state befor bottling it and were told it was still technically bourbon. He did not explain why (we had both had a few...)

Advanced Taster

Sipping Woodford Reserve neat.

Two months of serious head-to-head comparisons between Woodford Reserve and Old Forester 100 and my latest impressions of WR still remain very similar to my initial impressions. It seems very well balanced with a spicy sophistication. A good mix of floral and citrus elements.

I've changed my mind about OF 100 being more classy and complex. I think both it and WR are very close in those categories. But OF 100 seems to have an older, richer constituent that just doesn't shine through in WR. I can't quite place my finger on it but I find it to be more appealing than all the aspects that WR has to offer.

Again, I think WR is a most respectable bourbon. I can see why many choose it as one of their favorites. I may purchase more of it in the future. But OF 100 has a robust edge to it that you just can't beat.

-Troy

Virtuoso

I'll have to try that next time I am in KY. I have a bottle of the BIB 100 proof that Jeff mentions and I have the same general impression that Jeff has.

Advanced Taster

I have mixed feelings about this bit of news. First, it's great that there apparently will be more of this outstanding whiskey available in the future. I think it's the best American whiskey on the market today. (NOTE: I have yet to try the Stagg.) I can only hope future bottlings will be as good as the last.

However, I am somewhat confused. I had read that Julian said all stocks of the 13yo rye had been bottled and that there would be no more. Based on those reports, I, too, bought all the remaining bottles I could find. Now, apparently, Julian says stocks from the same source ARE available and that more will be bottled. I do not believe Julian intentionally tried to deceive anyone. My guess is that those who wrote those reports of the 13yo rye's demise had misunderstood what Julian said. At least I hope so.

In any case, I have been invited to a Van Winkle tasting to be held in Pittsburgh in two weeks. Preston Van Winkle will reportedly be there. If I have the chance, I'll see what he has to say about all of this.

SpeedyJohn

Advanced Taster

Hello, All. Drinking Julain Vanwinkles 13yr Family Reserve Rye Whiskey. As I have previously stated it's one of my all time favorite Whiskeys. Bye the way if you like Rye Whiskeys might I suggest julians 12yr Old Tyme Rye along with the 2001 Bottling of 18yr Sazerac Rye. It's part of the Antique Collection from Buffalo Trace. I really like the 2000 bottling of the 18yr Sazerac but the 2001 bottling in my opinion is even better. All are wonderfull Whiskeys. Enjoy, Creggor.

Enthusiast

Hey Creggor,
    How does the 12 YO VW Rye compare with the 13 YO? I have a number of bottles of the 13 YO, which I love, but haven't had the pleasure/opportunity to try the 12 YO yet.
    I have a bottle of the Saz that I bought awhile back along with a lot of other things, but haven't opened it yet. I'm not sure if it is a 2000 or 2001 bottling. I'll have to check on that. As soon as I get over a nasty cold, I'll have to compare it with VW 13 YO.

Bob

Advanced Taster

Hello, Bob. It's been awhile since I last had Julians 12yr Rye last August to be exact. Now, Keep in mind I am going on memory. To date Iv'e opened and drank 3 bottles of the 12yr so far. It's bottled at 90 proof rather than the 95.6 proof of the 13yr. The 12 year accoriding to my sources tell me it's 13yr taken a little early and at the lower proof. I believe it has all the same flavors of the 13yr Rye just not as bold. I also believe that some of the 13yr Rye maybe older that it's stated years. I say this as it's has more of the bold flavors associated the Buffalo Traces 18yr Sazerac Rye. In any case do try Julians 12yr Rye Old Tyme Rye. I like all of Julians Whiskeys. When on vacation this summer I will get some of the 12yr Rye while going thru KY. Actually I asked my local Walgreens here in FL to special order me some of the 13yr Rye and the 15yr 107 Proof. If there are able to get me these I will see if they can get the 12yr Rye then I can so a side by side tasting. Creggor