Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What are you drinking this moment?

Tonight I'm trying Elijah Craig 12 for the first time. Hmmm.... what the heck is this medicinal flavor?

John F

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

John, That's part of its' charm. Some like it ,some don't . I remember one fellow that I suggested it to. He said " It's got a bite". I like EC12, I Don't see how they can carry it that long in the warehouse and still sell it for 15-17 dollars a 750ML.

Apprentice

Bobby said;
    "That's part of its' charm. Some like it ,some don't."

Well, put me in the like it camp because that big fat cork keeps popping open and that remedial/stabilizer spout sure does want to angle itself towards my glass.

John F

Enthusiast

Good movie. Tonite I'm drinking Manhattans made with Old Charter 10 year.

Administrator in exile

Booker's!

A couple of Stagg tastings and now I am on a high-proof kick. The great thing about Booker's is that it won't go away after 15 barrels or so

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Jeff, that reminds me . When we were at Buffalo Trace in Sept . I remarked to Greg Kitzmiller that I liked Stagg better than Booker's , He said he never makes that judgement until he blind tastes them side by side a couple times and see what comes out on top. I'll check that in the next few days. You in? My guess is that one would be able to pick out the Higher proof in Stagg . We'll see.

Administrator in exile

I think that you are right about the higher proof, but I noticed a difference right away in my glass of Booker's. It had a more "earthy" taste that the Stagg. I have also thought about doing a side-by-side comparison. I will try that soon and post the results.

I will say that Stagg, while higher in proof, is far smoother than most that I have tried. That might make it a little more difficult to discern.

Virtuoso

AAA 10 yo

I cracked open my first bottle last night. I got this 1 liter from my sister (who lives outside L'ville) when we met up a few weeks ago in WV. (Of course, I special ordered it through her, along with 8 other different bottles!)

Last night, I had the AAA after BT. AAA didn't stand up to the complexity of the BT. Actually, it tasted rather bland. But, tonight, the AAA is doing better. It has a buttery smoothness and a silky texture.

For the price, it is really good. I think this would be a great summer bourbon when you need a lighter touch. I also think of it as a poor man's Wathens, if my memory serves me correct. I would also like to taste it alongside Old Fitz 100 to see how it compares.

But, bottom line, I think my tastes run to more complexity and zest. It's not that I don't like this bourbon (I do, much better than say MM), but it may not have enough umph for me.

Enthusiast

I have to come back to this. I'm drinking Jefferson Reserve-neat. This stuff is almost liquid erotica! Somebody made a statement the other day about a bourbon, and said they would drink it even without the buzz! Thats how I feel about this pour. I have drank about 1/3 of a bottle, and it keeps getting better. I'm going to revise a list soon...I have to place OFBB, Blanton's, Woodford, Elmer T. Lee, WT Rare Breed, and now the Jefferson. I know I'm leaving out a few favorites, but where am I going to put them?! I couldn't make a Top 10 list much less a Top 3! Oh, the "Stagg" is coming as well. Life is good right now! See ya, H'wood

Administrator in exile

Wild Turkey 12yo. I know a lot is being made of Buffalo Trace right now, but Jimmy Russell and the fine folks at Wild Turkey are IMHO the best of the best. I don't know if I have ever had a bourbon that I would consider to be better than this one. Several that are equal, but non better (to borrow a phrase)