Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What are you drinking this moment?

That is excellent news, as the VW Rye is a favorite of mine. I bought 4 bottles of it, which I never do, since I thought there would be no more. Now I can drink it without worrying that I can't replace it!

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Can I stretch this thread to indicate three whiskeys I'd LIKE to taste?

They are:

1) Either of the two house bourbons of the grand old Berghoff Restaurant, Chicago. Memory tells me the older one is aged about 15 years. I had it only once, good shot it was too after the fine beers of this house.

2) The Distiller's Editions of Jim Beam discussed around the time of the last bourbon festivals finished in Cognac and Port (two separate products I understand); and

3) a cask of (Highland Scottish) Glenmorangie which has been aging at Maker's Mark according to Waymack and Harris' book, this being an experiment of Bill Samuels to see if aging malt whisky in Kentucky would vary the result from what happens on its home turf. A New World effect already noticed is the proof is rising, in accordance with American practice, rather than falling as occurs in Scottish warehouses.

Can anyone shed light on the status of these items (in the case of Berghoff's bourbon, it being readily available at their bar and for takeaway, who makes it for them)?

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    2) The Distiller's Editions of Jim Beam discussed around the time of the last bourbon festivals finished in Cognac and Port (two separate products I understand);

[/QUOTE]

At the moment these are available in Kentucky , Toddys has both at the present time , Liquor Barn at Fern Valley Road in Louisville has the Cognac finish. I believe they have others at their other 2 stores in Louisville. I don't know the status of how much was available, if it is ongoing or a one off thing each time.
    The prices are keeping me out of this game. 195-205 each but I have seen them higher 250-300 at other places.I do have a Pappy 23 which they aren't giving away, I don't think I could sleep if I paid 200 for a bottle of Bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Because the so-called Masterpiece products are aged, at least for a while, in something other than new, charred white oak barrels, it seems to me that they aren't technically bourbons. They would also appear to fail as bourbons because they are flavored, either by adding the flavors of port or cognac remaining in the used wood barrels in which each is "finished." These Beam products are certainly unique whiskeys, but I don't think they are bourbons. For a couple hundred dollars, I'd rather add 5 bottles of premium bourbons to the bunker. If there is some loophole in the statutory definition of bourbon into which these flavored whiskies sneak in, I'd like to learn about it. Thanks.

Many thanks for the info, I did find after a tasting note (on an Australian site) which spoke of this whiskey in awesome terms. It said Booker Noe worked with a French cognac distiller of equal renown to produce this. The note said the whiskey goes over your tongue like "a dream". The prices seem very high, even for such a specialty. Too bad it wasn't bottled in half-sizes to make it more accessible.

Good points. I checked that site again where the cognac-finished version is reviewed. The picture of the decanter does not clearly show the label. The text accompanying (by the reviewer) calls the product Jim Beam's Distiller's Masterpiece Straight Kentucky Bourbon. So it must qualify somehow technically for the name, but in practical terms, it sounds like a stupendous product and (unless I am mistaken) a first in bourbon - using a cask from another product to lend a distinctive finish. The reverse is certainly true, i.e., a number of microbrewers have used bourbon or Tennessee casks to finish stout and other kinds of beer.

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Cy: Since you seem intent on buying this flavored whiskey, you might like to know that if you get together with a couple of friends and buy a case (3) Masterpiece bottles from Spec's and pay cash, you'll pay $159.96 for each!

Here's the link: http://web.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/p...UTIQUE+BOURBON

Administrator in exile

The wording I believe is as follows:

"Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished in Port wine casks"

I think they are claiming that it "was" bourbon that was taken a step farther. But then isn't jack Daniels? A little sneaky, but I am ok with it.

Administrator in exile

very Old Barton BIB. While at liquor barn last night I picked up a half pint of this stuff to give it a try. I didn't want to blow a whole $7 on a bottle I have tried the 90 proof expression that, for the moment, I think I like a little better. This one has some of the same characteristics, but with a little too much "kick" that throws it slightly off balance. A nice enough drink that I bet would mix well. Next time I will pick up the 90 though.

And (just to get down from the stratospheric heights of cognac-finished bourbon!) I recommend the 86 proof version of Very Old Barton. It is very fine bourbon, the balance is great, and the price near unbeatable for such quality.