Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking this moment?

Ok, I'll bite. You are saving the readily available Rock Hill for the ultra expensive Pappy 20 yo? Pray tell, why?

BTW, does KY basketball in your profile refer to UK or UofL? You gotta pick one!

Novice

UK basketball, of course! There IS no other KY basketball!

As for Pappy vs. Rock Hill--I was specifically asked to bring the Rock Hill if I came to Bardstown (that's still up in the air--I do want to come, but am still working out the logistics of what to do with the kids). And--bracing myself for a blasting here--I happen to prefer the taste of RH to Pappy. I'd be glad to bring both!

Suzie

Guru

Today I resume my attempt to perceive the widely aclaimed virtues of Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 Year-Old.

Yesterday it was about four glasss of the ORVW 107/15 y/o in the afternoon followed by a single glass of Wathen's late in the evening.

I can hardly imagine a greater contrast between quality bourbons than EC 18 and Wathen's. Wathen's is so sweet and yummy it almost makes my mouth water just to sniff it. To me it embodies all of the basic flavor components of bourbon, with a bias toward the sweet side, which carries on from nose to finish.

In contrast, at first tasting the EC 18 is as dry as silver maple leaves in October. The vinophile word "flinty", sometimes applied to Chablis or Riesling, comes to mind. Novice that I am in Bourbonia, nonetheless I wonder whether the barrel it was aged in was charred, or just slightly singed.

To me the challenge is to see, or rather taste, past the obvious and to discern underlying subtleties. There is definitely a hint, but just a hint, of sweetness peeking out from the background. If I inhale strongly through the mouth just as I place a few drops on my tongue, the sweetness seems to be in the form of black cherry, or some other dark fruit. Beyond that, I am baffled.

I expect that I will continue to work at learning this bourbon; I have pretty much given up on drinking it just for fun.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

In my quest to find the ever-so-elusive bargain premium bourbon I am sitting down with a glass of Old Forrester 86. I first tried this on on the rocks. The bouquet is remenisant of that of Woodford Reserve but a little harsher with hints of turpentine. I can pick up a little vanilla and something that smells akin to cotton candy. It feels pretty thin in the mouth and the finish is a little harsh. Believe it or not the finish is smoother when drank neat. I was hoping for a close cousin to WR, but I believe it is more like a 2nd cousin twice removed For the price I can't complain, but I think I will let Leslie finish this bottle up with Bourbon Sours.

Guru

Others more experienced than I disagree, but I find Old Forester 100 proof to be superior to the lower proof version, and the Woodford Reserve, as well.

I taste a sooty quality in WR that is absent in OF 100. Your mileage may vary.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

**DONOTDELETE**

Sundays - Gotta Luv 'em! Started out with three generous pours of 10 year old Russell's Reserve. After a late evening diner of Vickie's famous southern fried chicken with salad greens; cucumbers and tomatos fresh from the garden came a Sazarac 18 year old rye => neat in my Glencairn glass. Great stuff. Very fruity with lots of florals. Oily and mouth filling you can really taste the malt along with some nugut and some very subtile rye bread nuances. Then on to a neat portion of 17 year old Eagle Rare. Strong cinamon notes both in the nose and on the palate. I'd never had this bottling before so I can't tell you much more than 'I Like It'! And now to cap off the night => 16 year old A.H. Hirsch. Great stuff, but is it worth $80 a bottle? Must be since I bought it! ps - smokin' Winstons as I'm all out of cigars.

Virtuoso

No problem in preferring one over the other. We all have our favorites.

I was commenting on the "save" part, but you answered that.

Good luck with getting things worked out so you can go.

Virtuoso

Neither the 18 year old nor the 12 year old have struck my fancy. I've only tried them both a couple times. I never have gone back to them to further dissect them, primarily, because there's so much other good stuff in the cabinet. One day, I may go back and give them another chance when I feel like learning (and not just mindlessly enjoying a good drink).

Disciple

Brown Forman Rankings

1) Woodford Reserve
    2) A Close second is OF 86
    3) OF 100

Tom (callin' em as I see 'em) C

Disciple

Give the EC 12 a good long second look because it needs a while to grow on you. There is so much going on that at first taste it seems like there is not much going on. At first taste I did not like this one very much but now I reach for it quite often (a little less ofter recently cause I am running out! )

Tom (the Taster) C