Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

We were starting to get a little long there in the other thread so it's time to start a new one.... Maybe not officially summer but close enough!

I'll kick it off with a bottle that could also be found very soon in the empty bottle support group thread and also the what did you purchase thread; Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit pewter top first issue - bottled August of 1996 to be exact. One more pour out of this wonderful bottle and it's gone, luckily I recently found a dusty replacement; although one of these is never enough so I'll be looking for more!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Re: What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

THen... for a new thread.. PVW 23 and EW Antabellum

Connoisseur

The grape soda of bourbon! :P
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Apprentice

PVW20 and FRY (is that the right acronym for Four Roses Yellow Label? I'm too deep in my cups to worry about it).

I may pop out and pony up the funds for a bottle of 16yo Hirsch tomorrow, though the price is daunting. The dude that bunkered the case or so of it has a bunch of other interesting drams, maybe I'll stop in and clear his baby bourbon stock, just to confuse him.
    I apologize for the reporters, they're harder to escape then the Blue Demons cobra clutch!

Virtuoso

Following Mr. Gillman's lead I enjoyed a few Sazerac's..... quite refreshing on a warm evening and the sweetness goes very well with a cigar. Could be a new favorite.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Last night I had some Russell's Reserve 90 followed by some RR 101.
    Both enjoyable.
    Tonight it was WT 8yo 101, Fighting Cock, Saz Jr and 1792.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good to hear the Saz's are going down well. By the way sugar is optional in these, some people like them dry (so just the whiskey, bitters and anise element). Some bourbon or rye tends to sweetness as do some of the typical anise drinks, so as always, adjust to personal taste.

Tim's notes about the Very Old Fitzgerald had the wry touch I associate with his writing, Tim is the wryest of the SB scribes, maybe. But that is darn good whiskey, as all who know privileged to have tried it. (Qualification: knock on Tim's door at Gazebo-time).

Last night I poured a shot of ND OT, the vatting I've mentioned earlier. The current (which will likely be the last) vatting has a bit of a woody edge, I think this resulted from the last addition, a 86 proofer, but anyway in for a penny in for a pound. In vatting you go all the way or not, and there is no returning, but you can keep going!

I added bitters and half a teaspoon brown sugar, then rocks, then a glug of Weller 107. The Weller cured the excess wood in the ND OT vat (not sure why since it is woody itself, but this is the alchemy of mixology and vatting...).

A nice drink emerged from this rattling around.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-14-2008 at 06:27.

Trippah and Admin

Last night was JBB on the rocks at a very interesting party. The JBB was perfect on a stormy, humid evening but it was painful to me knowing that I had a brand new bottle of WTAS sitting at home. I'll crack that open in due time.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Apprentice

I wanted to share that I got to taste a couple of pre-prohibition whiskies a few nights ago.

Old Oscar Pepper 1916 and a Rye Whisky made for the Pendennis Club 1905.

The OOP had lost most of its taste but the Rye was really good.

I was trying to attach a couple of pictures of the bottles but not sure I succeeded.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apprentice

Here's the other. I never know if people like to see stuff like this but I'm assuming as bourbon fans you do.

Cheers!
    Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images