Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

The new owner of a local liquor store decided that he needed to get rid of some of the inventory that had been sitting around forever so he put all of his Glenhaven bottlings on sale for 50% off. Since these had all been bottled in the 1994-1996 timeframe and had not been re-priced since they were put on the shelves there were some real bargains that I could not pass up.

The 2 biggest highlights for me were a 20 YO Highland Park at $55 and a 23 YO Dalmore at $70.

Tom

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    The new owner of a local liquor store decided that he needed to get rid of some of the inventory that had been sitting around forever so he put all of his Glenhaven bottlings on sale for 50% off. Since these had all been bottled in the 1994-1996 timeframe and had not been re-priced since they were put on the shelves there were some real bargains that I could not pass up.

The 2 biggest highlights for me were a 20 YO Highland Park at $55 and a 23 YO Dalmore at $70.

Tom
    Awesome score, Tom! Awesome! Those are AMAZING deals. Why doesn't this stuff ever happen to me?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Awesome score, Tom! Awesome! Those are AMAZING deals. Why doesn't this stuff ever happen to me?
    It did happen to you, Uncle!! Or, have you forgotten the (possible/probable) SW Pappy 15's at $37, and the slope shouldered OCPR's you stumbled on a couple of months ago??!! Even, better scores, IMO!!

Tom's pickups do sound good, though...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    It did happen to you, Uncle!! Or, have you forgotten the (possible/probable) SW Pappy 15's at $37, and the slope shouldered OCPR's you stumbled on a couple of months ago??!! Even, better scores, IMO!! Tom's pickups do sound good, though...
    Yes. You're right about the Pappy's at $37 and the OCPR's. I was just rearranging bottles the other day to make some room in my storage cabinet and was pleased to discover that I still have five Pappy 15's left when I thought only three remained. Life's good in that regard but I really need to belly up to the bar and start thinning out the herd. I've got enough juice to last me several years now, even if I have 1-2 pours per night four or five nights a week. It won't save my liver but it may save my head from my wife.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

picked up a Glenlivet 21

after sampling it from a gentleman in a formal (tuxedo look) kilt at Chicago Gourmet last weekend. Good old Binny's didn't have it in stock in Highland Park, but had it transferred in a couple of days. Another reason they beat Sam's up here (Sam's closed HP store a couple of weeks ago--will miss the fresh blue cheese stuffed olives for 'tinis, however).
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Virtuoso

I wish I knew more about SMS some times. I found a Talisker 16 on the shelf the other day and can not seem to find any info on it now! Does anyone know if this is a good dram? It was $100.

Thanks,

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

On the same track as Tony here. I'm going to Canada, I love Red Breast and Green Spot. Thinking I may add this to the bunker. Any thoughts?

MAGILLIGAN PURE POT STILL IRISH SINGLE MALT

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr...mNumber=924340
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I wish I knew more about SMS some times. I found a Talisker 16 on the shelf the other day and can not seem to find any info on it now! Does anyone know if this is a good dram? It was $100.
    Tony
    Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I've done a lot of research and have built up a reasonably substantial collection of SMS. Like bourbon, different qualities of SMS appeal to different drinkers, but of all the bottles I've sampled, the Lagavulin 16 is among the very best--I'm talking top 3 in my book. It has enough smokiness and peat to satisfy the lover of Islay malts, but is superbly balanced by a malty sweetness that is almost unparalleled in my experience. Only Highland Park 18 has hit me the same way--just amazingly balanced and so viscuous that you could eat it with a spoon. Unfortunately, for those of us on a budget, it's quite expensive. I happened upon a major score and was able to snag a few bottles for $55 (!) but $90-$95 is the norm around here. See if you can try some before buying. I went into a local liquor store and told the guy I was interested in buying some but couldn't afford the asking price for something I might not like, and he invited me into his office for a sample. It never hurts to ask. Hope this was helpful.
    Hank

Advanced Taster

Re: picked up a Glenlivet 21

Laphroaig 10yr Cask Strength, $54/750ml in MC. 'Cause MC is all out of ETL. I wonder where it went - it was on sale last month!

A Glenfarclas 1968 vintage bottled in 2004, and a Duncan Taylor 40 year old 1965 vintage that was distilled at Invergordon. The DT is the most amazing grain whisky I have ever had!