Quote Originally Posted by The Boozer View Post
I don't want to talk you out of anything but you may want to pass if you thought the CI 12 was "thin". I found the flavors in CI 18 to be more subtle than in the 12 yr. For lack of better vocabulary, I would say that the 18 yr is a "gentler" Islay. BTW Laga 16 is $87 + 6% tax in MI while Laph and Ard 10 are both $49.99. Guess what's not in my liquor cabinet. TJ
If you scroll back in time, you'll see posts in which I bashed Ardbeg 10 for being "thin," though chock full of flavor. I remember the first time I poured some in a Glencairn glass and thinking that it looked like diluted pee. My immediate reaction was, "I hope this has way more body than it appears to have." Sadly, it didn't. It seemed totally lacking and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Don't get me wrong, I've grown to love the intensity of the flavor and aroma, and it has an amazingly long finish, but I've always thought it would be among the top three or four affordable SMS's if they'd just up the malt quotient. I didn't have the same feeling with the CI 12, which I find has a nice mouth-feel (I hate that term but it works).

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
Ouch! I can get Laga 16 regularly for $60 and sometimes even low 50's. Ardberg 10 regularly goes for low $40's near me as well.
Want to cry! Lagavulin 16 is $90-$95 everywhere around here (just check Binny's site) and Ardbeg 10 is generally $60, though I can still score semi-dusties of each for much less if I really hunt. I'm going to definitely check out the Caol Ila 18 after reading "Caol Ila 12 and 18 are like chocolate covered salty pretzels, sweetness and salty working together on the palate. I would say that CI 12 tends to be more towards briny/salt in taste whereas CI 18 tends to be more cocoa/sweetness." Who could resist?