Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

The wife got me a bottle of Balvenie Madeira Cask for Christmas. Myself and my neighbor proceeded to damn near kill it off that night. Good stuff.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Picked up a bottle of Glenkinchie 12. A great whisky from one of my favourite distilleries.

Guru

Relative brought me a nice bottle of Knappogue Castle 1995, an Irish Whiskey. They live in the U.K. and asked them to try and find Redbreast 15 year which evidently is nearly impossible. I'm ok with this one as it looks interesting and received favorable reviews.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

I took advantage of Binny's 15% off sale and picked up my first bottle of Yamazaki 12 for $31. A good deal for a great whisky!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I took advantage of Binny's 15% off sale and picked up my first bottle of Yamazaki 12 for $31. A good deal for a great whisky!
    Nice! How are you liking it so far?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Nice! How are you liking it so far?
    Honestly, I love it. The Yamazaki 12 is way better than I expected it to be, so much so that I would have bought two bottles at that price had I known it was so good. Now I'm determined to save up some money for a bottle of the Y18 to see how they compare.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Honestly, I love it. The Yamazaki 12 is way better than I expected it to be, so much so that I would have bought two bottles at that price had I known it was so good. Now I'm determined to save up some money for a bottle of the Y18 to see how they compare.
    Good to hear. I knew I would love it as soon as I took a sniff from the bottle. Do you like Glenkinchie? It is the only other whisky I've tried that gives me the same impression: buiscuity, estery, floral, creamy. The Yamazaki is definitely bigger and creamier, though.

I would rate The Yamazaki 12 as one of my ten favourite whiskies. Probably the same for Glenkinchie 12.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Good to hear. I knew I would love it as soon as I took a sniff from the bottle. Do you like Glenkinchie? It is the only other whisky I've tried that gives me the same impression: buiscuity, estery, floral, creamy. The Yamazaki is definitely bigger and creamier, though.

I would rate The Yamazaki 12 as one of my ten favourite whiskies. Probably the same for Glenkinchie 12.
    Your tasting notes on the Yamazaki 12 are spot on. I'm really enjoying it and plan on having more tonight. Is the Yamazaki 18 worth the extra money? Haven't had Glenkinchie in years, so I honestly can't remember how it tastes. But for the moment, I'm on a Yamazaki kick and will be buying more this weekend. Great stuff!

Connoisseur

Your tasting notes on the Yamazaki 12 are spot on. I'm really enjoying it and plan on having more tonight. Is the Yamazaki 18 worth the extra money? Haven't had Glenkinchie in years, so I honestly can't remember how it tastes. But for the moment, I'm on a Yamazaki kick and will be buying more this weekend. Great stuff!
    I've never tried the 18 year old. By all accounts it is simply that much better. If it comes around again I will make it my "special occasion" bottle.

Advanced Taster

NO...the 18 year is not worth the extra money. Stick with the 12 year old. In fact, I like the 12 year old better than the 18 year old. The 18 year old is more oaky and has less of that great creamy fruitiness the 12 year has.