Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 28 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 1415
  1. #271
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Near York, PA
    Posts
    897

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    The wife got me a bottle of Balvenie Madeira Cask for Christmas. Myself and my neighbor proceeded to damn near kill it off that night. Good stuff.
    Illuminati in training

  2. #272
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    766

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Picked up a bottle of Glenkinchie 12. A great whisky from one of my favourite distilleries.

  3. #273
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Relative brought me a nice bottle of Knappogue Castle 1995, an Irish Whiskey. They live in the U.K. and asked them to try and find Redbreast 15 year which evidently is nearly impossible. I'm ok with this one as it looks interesting and received favorable reviews.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

  4. #274
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    I took advantage of Binny's 15% off sale and picked up my first bottle of Yamazaki 12 for $31. A good deal for a great whisky!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  5. #275
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    766

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I took advantage of Binny's 15% off sale and picked up my first bottle of Yamazaki 12 for $31. A good deal for a great whisky!
    Nice! How are you liking it so far?

  6. #276
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Nice! How are you liking it so far?
    Honestly, I love it. The Yamazaki 12 is way better than I expected it to be, so much so that I would have bought two bottles at that price had I known it was so good. Now I'm determined to save up some money for a bottle of the Y18 to see how they compare.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  7. #277
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    766

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Honestly, I love it. The Yamazaki 12 is way better than I expected it to be, so much so that I would have bought two bottles at that price had I known it was so good. Now I'm determined to save up some money for a bottle of the Y18 to see how they compare.
    Good to hear. I knew I would love it as soon as I took a sniff from the bottle. Do you like Glenkinchie? It is the only other whisky I've tried that gives me the same impression: buiscuity, estery, floral, creamy. The Yamazaki is definitely bigger and creamier, though.

    I would rate The Yamazaki 12 as one of my ten favourite whiskies. Probably the same for Glenkinchie 12.

  8. #278
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    2,823

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Good to hear. I knew I would love it as soon as I took a sniff from the bottle. Do you like Glenkinchie? It is the only other whisky I've tried that gives me the same impression: buiscuity, estery, floral, creamy. The Yamazaki is definitely bigger and creamier, though.

    I would rate The Yamazaki 12 as one of my ten favourite whiskies. Probably the same for Glenkinchie 12.
    Your tasting notes on the Yamazaki 12 are spot on. I'm really enjoying it and plan on having more tonight. Is the Yamazaki 18 worth the extra money? Haven't had Glenkinchie in years, so I honestly can't remember how it tastes. But for the moment, I'm on a Yamazaki kick and will be buying more this weekend. Great stuff!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

  9. #279
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    766

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Your tasting notes on the Yamazaki 12 are spot on. I'm really enjoying it and plan on having more tonight. Is the Yamazaki 18 worth the extra money? Haven't had Glenkinchie in years, so I honestly can't remember how it tastes. But for the moment, I'm on a Yamazaki kick and will be buying more this weekend. Great stuff!
    I've never tried the 18 year old. By all accounts it is simply that much better. If it comes around again I will make it my "special occasion" bottle.

  10. #280
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
    Posts
    172

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

    NO...the 18 year is not worth the extra money. Stick with the 12 year old. In fact, I like the 12 year old better than the 18 year old. The 18 year old is more oaky and has less of that great creamy fruitiness the 12 year has.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 352
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 17:50
  2. What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)
    By mgilbertva in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 443
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 17:26
  3. What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07
    By jbutler in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 16:34
  4. What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter/Spring '07
    By jbutler in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 383
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 23:38
  5. What bourbon did you purchase today?
    By NorCalBoozer in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 600
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 22:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top