Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I'll have to give that a try next time. What profile do you pick up in that blend?
    I know you didn't ask me but since I've had Ballantine's recently enough, I'll give my thoughts: peatier than one might expect, with a fine note of honey and sherried malt. Firm grain bite. Decent body for a cheap blend.

Evidently Jim Murray gives this top honours for NAS blends in his 2010 Whisky Bible.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    I know you didn't ask me but since I've had Ballantine's recently enough, I'll give my thoughts: peatier than one might expect, with a fine note of honey and sherried malt. Firm grain bite. Decent body for a cheap blend.

Evidently Jim Murray gives this top honours for NAS blends in his 2010 Whisky Bible.
    Thanks for answering the post though . I definitely have to give it a try.... as I'm always on the lookout for decent everyday pours and money... she's tighter these days.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Thanks for answering the post though . I definitely have to give it a try.... as I'm always on the lookout for decent everyday pours and money... she's tighter these days.

Michael Jackson

Nose
    Perfumy. Very fragrant smokiness.
    Palate
    Soft and light. Silky, oily peat. A therapeutically medicinal relaxant.
    Finish
    Lemon-honey. Some late sweetness. Late surge of gentle warmth.
    Comment
    Very gentle, but a precise clarity of flavours. Drink while listening to Vivaldi.

Virtuoso

Michael Jackson

Nose
    Perfumy. Very fragrant smokiness.
    Palate
    Soft and light. Silky, oily peat. A therapeutically medicinal relaxant.
    Finish
    Lemon-honey. Some late sweetness. Late surge of gentle warmth.
    Comment
    Very gentle, but a precise clarity of flavours. Drink while listening to Vivaldi.
    Thanks again. I just saw a handle (1.75L) on sale for 23.99. Is that the same one we're talking about? Ballantine's Finest?

Connoisseur

Thanks again. I just saw a handle (1.75L) on sale for 23.99. Is that the same one we're talking about? Ballantine's Finest?
    Yes, that's the one.

Guru

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I always have 1.75's of Ballantine's Finest, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Teacher's Highland Cream on hand in my home. At least one of the four is bound to please most folks, and I happen to really like them all. Lots of single malt snobs like to crap on the inexpensive blends, but these four are not bottom shelf swill. They are, in fact, carefully crafted blends with huge followings all over the world. And to me, they kick the daylights out of Grant's and Cutty Sark, which are decent enough but considerably less complex, IMO. Get that Ballantine's, James, and enjoy.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I always have 1.75's of Ballantine's Finest, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Teacher's Highland Cream on hand in my home. At least one of the four is bound to please most folks, and I happen to really like them all. Lots of single malt snobs like to crap on the inexpensive blends, but these four are not bottom shelf swill. They are, in fact, carefully crafted blends with huge followings all over the world. And to me, they kick the daylights out of Grant's and Cutty Sark, which are decent enough but considerably less complex, IMO. Get that Ballantine's, James, and enjoy.
    Thanks unclebunk. Of the four you mention, which do you prefer. Also, which has the most peat and smoke (I'm an Islay lover). Have you had Black Bottle? What did you think about that in relation to those others?

Thanks again for the advice from everyone.

Connoisseur

Thanks unclebunk. Of the four you mention, which do you prefer. Also, which has the most peat and smoke (I'm an Islay lover). Have you had Black Bottle? What did you think about that in relation to those others?

Thanks again for the advice from everyone.
    I know you didn't ask me , but I would probably rate Teacher's as the smokiest of the three (I have not tried White Horse). However I find Teacher's somewhat lacking in character. I will say, though, that it has an interesting salty bacon flavour.

Virtuoso

I know you didn't ask me , but I would probably rate Teacher's as the smokiest of the three (I have not tried White Horse). However I find Teacher's somewhat lacking in character. I will say, though, that it has an interesting salty bacon flavour.
    Thanks for answering again so you'd still take Ballantine's over the others then? By a large margin, or are they all pretty decent etc.

Connoisseur

Thanks for answering again so you'd still take Ballantine's over the others then? By a large margin, or are they all pretty decent etc.
    Actually The Famous Grouse might be the best of those three, but Ballantine's has a more pronounced smoky note. While we're on the subject, Black Grouse is smokier than all those others, and probably the best of the cheap blends that I've tried. It has more complexity than Islay Mist, which is also quite decent.

Another nice surprise was Whyte and Mackay Special. Not smoky, but if you don't mind sherried malt it is very good stuff.