Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

McLelland's Islay is indeed (or as far as I am aware) young Bowmore, about 6 years old. This and the true Bowmore do have a specific flavour, almost earthy/heather-like.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I guess that's what I meant by better (i.e., smokier). I was disappointed in Black Grouse since it didn't taste much different than its non-Islay blend offering.
    It was advertised as the regular Grouse with some Islay malt added to the blend, and that is what I got from it. You're right, it's not super-peaty but for supple smoothness and balance I find it hard to beat at that price. I found it superior to Islay Mist on account of its richer complexity.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    It was advertised as the regular Grouse with some Islay malt added to the blend, and that is what I got from it. You're right, it's not super-peaty but for supple smoothness and balance I find it hard to beat at that price. I found it superior to Islay Mist on account of its richer complexity.
    I agree with the smoothness. I guess when you're expecting Islay peat and you get something different it can disappoint. I revisited this last night and agree with you that for the price it is a fine blend. I was getting more Highland Park from the flavor though than Islay.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

I was in Cincy today and I ran into another 2 bottles of Springbank 12/100...... I thought these were supposed to be rare???
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Scored another dirt cheap bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask, my new favorite budget whiskey. It's strange, but I held off for the longest time picking up my first bottle when the price was $40. When it suddenly dropped to $30 at Binny's I pounced on it and loved it. A few days later I got a $5 off coupon from Binny's and picked up a second bottle for $25. And today I found it at another store for $21! So I naturally had to pick up another, right?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Scored another dirt cheap bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask, my new favorite budget whiskey. It's strange, but I held off for the longest time picking up my first bottle when the price was $40. When it suddenly dropped to $30 at Binny's I pounced on it and loved it. A few days later I got a $5 off coupon from Binny's and picked up a second bottle for $25. And today I found it at another store for $21! So I naturally had to pick up another, right?
    Wow!!! I can't get it for less than $40. I'd buy it for $21 all day long. Stock up!!!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Wow!!! I can't get it for less than $40. I'd buy it for $21 all day long. Stock up!!!
    My sentiments exactly, though I suspect my wife would fail to see my reasoning. Honestly though, the ATC is really good stuff in my book and I would encourage others to check it out as well.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    It's comin your way. Hey, don't forget the Rosebank 12 year!
    Thanks for the Rosebank..... being the scotch drinker I am not I will have to give this stuff a try..........
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Where did you get it for that price?

Thanks, Rene;

Advanced Taster

Picked up a bottle of Cardhu for 22 on offer at the supermarket, looking forward to opening her up and seeing if it can tease me further into scotch...
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill