Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 72 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

On a related note, I just picked up another pure malt: Nikka Taketsura 12 year old. I think it is a vatting of whiskies from two different Nikka distilleries. Not smoky like Yoichi, but pretty nice and balanced so far.

Interestingly, Japanese single malts are sometimes labeled "pure malt." Come to think of it I have a bottle of Strathisla 12 that is labeled as a pure Highland malt, though a more accurate description would be "single Speyside malt." It does get confusing...

Virtuoso

A bottle of Paddy's Irish whiskey.. a very easy drinker at an attractive price.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    On a related note, I just picked up another pure malt: Nikka Taketsura 12 year old. I think it is a vatting of whiskies from two different Nikka distilleries. Not smoky like Yoichi, but pretty nice and balanced so far.

Interestingly, Japanese single malts are sometimes labeled "pure malt." Come to think of it I have a bottle of Strathisla 12 that is labeled as a pure Highland malt, though a more accurate description would be "single Speyside malt." It does get confusing...
    Actually it was the use of "Pure Malt" that caused the initial controversy the brought about the new SWA regulations. The evil empire, Diageo, was running low on supplies of Cardu (which was very popular in Spain). So they turned it from a single malt to a vatted malt and labeled it as "Pure Malt". This brought about protests from consumers and other distillers. They eventually changed the packaging as since that time its popularity has fallen enough that they have re-released Cardu as a single malt.

Also, in response to an earlier statement in this thread, while single grain scotches are few and far between on shelves, there is a very popular blended grain scotch by Compass Box - Hedonism (and Hedonism Maximus) that can easily be found across the country.

Tom

Guru

I made a swap and got a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask 1 litre a couple of days ago.
    Hmmm, it's so good.
    But me thinks the 18yo is a bit better buck-o.
    ovh

Virtuoso

I go back and forth on the 18 vs the 10 y/o cask strength. I like the QC but not as much as the other two.

wripvanwrinkle

I picked up a Greenmoore 15.

Connoisseur

I seem to be giving in more to my dark side urges lately....recently purchased some cask strength Arran's finished in cream sherry casks...and of course, have been trying to capture some Ardbeg Alligator (so far 3 bottles).

Tom

Advanced Taster

singleton of auchroisk 1981, 5 bottles. one came in a gift pack with distillery water pitcher. haven't seen these for a LONG time. then, yesterday, i find 5 of them in 2 different stores. the dusty gods are kind.

Enthusiast

Duncan Taylor Caperdonich 1972-2004 cask 7435 55.6%

Steffen

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Regular Powers, only an occasional import here. This whisky is much better IMO than Green Spot or any pure pot still. There is rich PPS but balanced against some quality grain whiskey (I think it's 70% PPS the rest grain). There is a sweetish buttery/dandelion quality which expresses perfect balance.

You can't make Irish whiskey better than this although Irishman 70 (the first bottlings) comes close.

Gary