Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 73 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Regular Powers, only an occasional import here. This whisky is much better IMO than Green Spot or any pure pot still. There is rich PPS but balanced against some quality grain whiskey (I think it's 70% PPS the rest grain). There is a sweetish buttery/dandelion quality which expresses perfect balance.

You can't make Irish whiskey better than this although Irishman 70 (the first bottlings) comes close.

Gary
    I believe that Powers is the most popular Irish Whiskey in the Emerald Isles - but is not well known here in the States.

Enthusiast

Powers is one of my favorite Irish Whiskeys. I have a case split by six with Powers and Powers 12 in my bunker.
    Greg
    Southeast New Mexico

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Some tidbits of Power's history and characteristics from the interweb:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~whiskey/pajos/powers.htm

I agree with the writer except I think Jameson's regular blend is excellent: it's a good contrast to Powers, but I'd give the edge to the latter. I made my own "super-Jameson's" blend by adding Green Spot to it, about 3:1, and this makes a more even comparison to Power's, although each will always have its own character. Jameson's is minty-like, Power's is warm/buttery, in a word.

Gary

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    I seem to be giving in more to my dark side urges lately....recently purchased some cask strength Arran's finished in cream sherry casks...and of course, have been trying to capture some Ardbeg Alligator (so far 3 bottles).

Tom
    The Alligator uses the "extra charred" Bourbon barrels. I'm really interested to know where they came from.

Taster

Ardbeg Uigedail today, hey Tom, where did you find the Alligator? It's been getting great write-ups online.

I wanted to pick up the Talisker 18 too, I passed on it last week and of course today, it was gone.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TBC View Post
    Ardbeg Uigedail today, hey Tom, where did you find the Alligator? It's been getting great write-ups online.

I wanted to pick up the Talisker 18 too, I passed on it last week and of course today, it was gone.
    It's been a matter of getting one bottle at a time. One bottle from one favorite store, another bottle from another store I frequently buy from, stumbling onto one bottle in a store in SF when lured into it by some other SB'ers I was with. I found a site on-line that listed a case for sale which I immediately jumped on, however a couple of days later I got the expected email saying that Alligator was limited and they couldn't complete the order.

Tom

Connoisseur

Picked up Canadian Club Reserve for a cheap mixer, and two bottles of the new Alberta Premium 30 year old. Can't wait to get into this stuff.

Then when I got home I discovered an early birthday present: Hazelburn 8 year old. Guess my wife wasn't expecting me to dive into the liquor cabinet so soon...

Advanced Taster

Haven't bought a bottle of scotch for ages but I found a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt. Only have read about it, can't wait to try it. From what I understand I can try it bottled as Grand Reserve now, my buddy swears by that stuff.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lrochau View Post
    Haven't bought a bottle of scotch for ages but I found a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt. Only have read about it, can't wait to try it. From what I understand I can try it bottled as Grand Reserve now, my buddy swears by that stuff.
    The Gran Reserva isn't exactly the same thing. Personally, I like the old Cigar Malt better and it is sorely missed. I got a review sample of a new limited edition "Cigar Malt" from Dalmore that I need to crack open. It's more along the lines of the pricier MacKenzie and other recent releases than a replacement for the old version.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Some tidbits of Power's history and characteristics from the interweb:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~whiskey/pajos/powers.htm

I agree with the writer except I think Jameson's regular blend is excellent: it's a good contrast to Powers, but I'd give the edge to the latter. I made my own "super-Jameson's" blend by adding Green Spot to it, about 3:1, and this makes a more even comparison to Power's, although each will always have its own character. Jameson's is minty-like, Power's is warm/buttery, in a word.

Gary
    I bought a Powers gold today based on your descriptions. A very solid pour, in my estimation, with a good amount of pot still firmness evident, and not over sherried. There are some herbal hints in the background that I'll have to tease out later when I'm more patient and less thirsty.

All in all, an exceptional value at $15. I can't think of a foreign whisky that can compete at that price.