Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 106 of 142 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1415
    Virtuoso

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Glenlivet Nadurra 1991 "Triumph"

Guru

Been on a bit of an Irish run lately with bottles of Green Spot, Powers John's Lane and most recently Midleton Very Rare 2012. Tried to source the somewhat mythical Yellow Spot while in London last week but it apparently hasn't been released there yet despite rumors that is was coming at any moment for the past month. Of the three noted I think the Powers is my favorite. This week anyway!

My oddity of the week while in London was not really a "whiskey" but is interesting all the same. Picked up a bottle of Jade de Perique from Jade liqueurs in France, better known perhaps for their absinthe's. It is distinctly different from anything I have had recently.

Taster

Bought a bottle of Galileo. Not sure if I am going to pop this now or put it to bed for a while? Anyone try this yet?

Also picked up another bottle of Laphroaig 10yo CS. Love the smokiness of the CS on a cool fall day!

Connoisseur

Father in law took us out to a nice restaurant last night. After I ordered a Macallan 12 for my postprandial beverage, he asked the waiter to upgrade me to the Macallan 18. I love this guy!

Guru

1 each Compass Box Spice Tree and Great King Street, and a Bruichladdich Rocks.

Advanced Taster

Just starting to cross over to the dark side. I chose Highland Park 12 as my first purchase, and I really like it. Not sure what I'll go with next, but maybe something that wasn't exclusively in sherry casks.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    Just starting to cross over to the dark side. I chose Highland Park 12 as my first purchase, and I really like it. Not sure what I'll go with next, but maybe something that wasn't exclusively in sherry casks.
    Great choice. What about HP12 do you like? It's a great whisky to help you choose what direction to go next.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

I like the smooth fruit quality of HP12 with just a hint of smokiness.

Found a store that was closing out business, with the discount, I picked up a Lagavulin 16 for $60, Ardbeg 10 for $39, and Talisker 10 $50 including tax. More than fair prices. The clerk said they had handles of Glenfiddich 12 for <$55 after discount and one guy picked up all 5 they had on the shelf!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    I really enjoy the HP12 - as most do. If you're looking at experimenting on the less expensive end of the scale, I also really like Johnnie Walker Black. Not quite as much of the smoke as HP12, but very good stuff. Another inexpensive one that I found with a bit of smoke is The Black Grouse. Neither is very complex or has much peat, (HP12 is very low peat) but both are good and very easy on the wallet.

If you're looking at something a little more bourbon-like, I'd go with Aberlour 12. Not much in the way of peat or smoke.

But if you're digging the smoke and feel you might be ready for a full-on assault (I think in a good way) of sweet, peat, and smoke - just jump on in with a Laphroaig 10. If you like that one, you might be doomed...
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Enthusiast

RedBreast 12 Cask Strength. Incredibly difficult to find in Kentucky. Can't wait to try it!