Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 111 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1415
    Virtuoso

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    Picked up an Ardbeg 10 year, which I've never tried. I've been hearing so much about all of the Ardbeg limited releases, but I figured I should start with the standard expression first.
    Might be my favorite whisky of all. Just amazingly drinkable

Connoisseur

I attended a Diageo sponsored tasting/dinner tonight at the Bourbon House in NOLA. It was more of an "industry" event for bar and restaurant owners, but somehow I got invited. Along with tasting all of the standard whiskys alongside their Distiller's Editions, they gave us a bottle of Oban 14 and a Dalwhinnie 15, with some Oban glasses just for coming.

There was so much undrunk whisky on my table at the end of the night. 1oz to 1.5 oz of 10 different malts x 80 people or so. They had 800 logo embossed Glencairns on hand apparently.

Anyway, half the people admitted they didn't even like scotch. I almost started dumping the Glencairns into a water glass so it didn't go to waste.

Anyway, I was so "fulfilled" by the end of the dinner that I couldn't bring myself to stumble down to the restaurant bar to sample some of their outstanding selections of bourbon. PHC 1st Edition, BMH 16, WT Tribute, and a Vintage 23 all caught my eye. Haven't tried any of those, so I will have to go back.

Virtuoso

Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Picked up an Ardbeg 10 year, which I've never tried. I've been hearing so much about all of the Ardbeg limited releases, but I figured I should start with the standard expression first.
    Perhaps, but I've always been a bit underwhelmed by the filtered, lower proof 'peat monsters.' I liked Alligator and especially Ardbeg Day, but I'm not a big fan of the standard expression.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    A coworker gave me a bottle of Chivas Regal 18. I usually don't buy blends, but this is pretty good.
    I had some of the standard 12yo awhile back and liked it quite a bit more than the last time I tried it (years and years ago). I've put the 18yo on my list since then, but the fact is that there are just too many scotches in the $70-$80 range that are on my list these days.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Perhaps, but I've always been a bit underwhelmed by the filtered, lower proof 'peat monsters.' I liked Alligator and especially Ardbeg Day, but I'm not a big fan of the standard expression.
    I have the same impression of the Ardbeg 10, and I stated it here in a thread a couple of years ago. SheezeLouise!!! I'm still picking the buckshot out of my arse fired from the angry Ardbeg fans. OK, Maybe, it was the term "weenie scotch" that sent 'em over... Conversely, the Lag 16 is in my Top 10 All-Time whiskies.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

A 750 of Canadian Mist, no particular reason, read Davin's review and it sounded like a can't miss mixer. I'm ceasefully surprised at the number of people who view a blended whisky as 'rotgut' when in fact it's equal quality whisky to those aged longer and priced higher.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I have the same impression of the Ardbeg 10, and I stated it here in a thread a couple of years ago. SheezeLouise!!! I'm still picking the buckshot out of my arse fired from the angry Ardbeg fans. OK, Maybe, it was the term "weenie scotch" that sent 'em over... Conversely, the Lag 16 is in my Top 10 All-Time whiskies.
    I will be interested to try it, and I also love Lag 16. What is it about the Ardbeg 10 that falls short IYO? I was also looking at the Uigeadail but didn't want to drop that kind of coin before trying the standard. Maybe I'll crack the 10 tonight.

Guru

That Ardbeg 10 is what got me started with my love affair with Scotch - it's like coming home when I take a sip.

That said, nostalgia probably plays a bigger role than I would like to admit in why I like it so much.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I will be interested to try it, and I also love Lag 16. What is it about the Ardbeg 10 that falls short IYO? I was also looking at the Uigeadail but didn't want to drop that kind of coin before trying the standard. Maybe I'll crack the 10 tonight.
    Dave, I felt it had little to no mouthfeel. Very thin, particularly compared to the Lag 16. It really wasn't robust, and the peat was muted. It just seemed as if it had been watered down. Whenever I compared it head-to-head with the Lag, the Ardbeg just withered.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Dave, I felt it had little to no mouthfeel. Very thin, particularly compared to the Lag 16. It really wasn't robust, and the peat was muted. It just seemed as if it had been watered down. Whenever I compared it head-to-head with the Lag, the Ardbeg just withered.
    Tried it last night side by side with the Lag 16. The Ardbeg had good flavor, but it was definitely very thin. Like water. I will have no problem finishing the bottle, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Lag 16. Not sure that was a fair fight, anyway.