Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 120 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1415
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Some odd bottles (a half empty bottle of Camus XO cognac from the 80's, Ararat 20 year old Armenian brandy purchased in 1992 that stills says it is from the Soviet Union and never opened, Suntory Japanese whiskey, a pint bottle of Soviet era "Bodka" which is probably pure rot gut!).

Attachment 14630Attachment 14631Attachment 14633
    That brandy, Ararat, might be hit or miss, depending how bad standards were then. The brand has been produced by the same company since before the Soviet Union and the modern stuff is pretty decent. it is really popular in the Caucasus and I have been known to down a lot of it when I find myself in the former Eastern Bloc - it's a nice break from the vodka. About that bottle of Pshenichnaya Vodka from the SSSR (СССР), the label says it was produced by the former Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee which would mean it was made 1985-1989...disgusting I'm sure.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    That brandy, Ararat, might be hit or miss, depending how bad standards were then. The brand has been produced by the same company since before the Soviet Union and the modern stuff is pretty decent. it is really popular in the Caucasus and I have been known to down a lot of it when I find myself in the former Eastern Bloc - it's a nice break from the vodka. About that bottle of Pshenichnaya Vodka from the SSSR (СССР), the label says it was produced by the former Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee which would mean it was made 1985-1989...disgusting I'm sure.
    The Ararat brandy will no doubt get tried eventually to see how it has done over the years. Just have to round up a few brandy aficionados! I see it on the shelf today occasionally but never the 20yo version, usually maybe 5yo or so. I am guessing in 1992 when it was purchased the standards of production could definitely have been questionable.

You just answered about the vodka what I had researched for an hour or so. Apparently a wheat based vodka produced by the Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee or "Gosagroprom" from 1985-89 as you note. Doubt I will open that one. More of a novelty for display on the bar!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The Ararat brandy will no doubt get tried eventually to see how it has done over the years. Just have to round up a few brandy aficionados! I see it on the shelf today occasionally but never the 20yo version, usually maybe 5yo or so. I am guessing in 1992 when it was purchased the standards of production could definitely have been questionable.

You just answered about the vodka what I had researched for an hour or so. Apparently a wheat based vodka produced by the Soviet State Agroindustrial Committee or "Gosagroprom" from 1985-89 as you note. Doubt I will open that one. More of a novelty for display on the bar!
    Hopefully Bruce, the distillery wasn't near Chernobyl? To check, put it in a dark closet and see if it glows.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Know anything about Moldovan Brandy LostBottle? There are a couple stores near me that have Black Stork 12 year and Surprise 15 year from KVINT Distillery in what I guess is now Transnistria. Looks to be newer stock. I think the Suprise was at $29 or so and was tempted but never pulled the plug.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Sorry, Thad, I have never had any Moldovan brandy. You are right about KVINT, I checked out the website and it says they are in Tiraspol.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 01-01-2013 at 22:38.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Hopefully Bruce, the distillery wasn't near Chernobyl? To check, put it in a dark closet and see if it glows.
    Interesting. The room did seem a little brighter last night after I put it on the bar and turned out the light!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I came across an ardbeg uigeadail and alligator today. Yes, please!

Advanced Taster

I'm another bottle closer to acquiring every gold medal American, Canadian and Irish whiskey winner from the 2011 and 2012 San Fran Spirits Competition. Its been a fun journey and an excuse to purchase lots of whiskey. Picked up Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy. First time I've seen it in Texas. I really enjoy the Midleton Very Rare.
    Two bottles to go.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jtexaslonestar View Post
    I came across an ardbeg uigeadail and alligator today. Yes, please!
    How much is Alligator going for in the wild? The few shops that list it online carry a pretty steep markup.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    How much is Alligator going for in the wild? The few shops that list it online carry a pretty steep markup.
    The store in Jasper, Ga (of all places) had one bottle @ $123.99. I read up that it was hard to find, so leftover X-mas bonus depleted. It was worth every penny, dollar, nickel and dime!