Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 27 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    I heard recently that Tamhdu has shut down. I saw a bottle at $17.xx and asked how many they had. I bought a case plus one (13) and he gave me a 5% Discount! At that price I'd buy any Scotch single malt, even Speyburn.
    Ever have the Tamdhu, Stu? I haven't but at $20 I was thinking along the same lines as you.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Almost 4 years ago I did a review of Tamdhu here. See if you agree with my opinion.
    Illuminati in training

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Almost 4 years ago I did a review of Tamdhu here. See if you agree with my opinion.
    As usual, you do an excellent review. I concur fully on the maltiness (cereal) and fruitiness. I find it an excellent example of what a young non peated Speyside should taste like.

Unclebunk, I have had it before, but not this cheap.

Picked up two bottles of JW Green label today from Costco. They are normally $53 there, but they had a coupon for $10 off each bottle. That price is pretty tough to beat.

Disciple

Isle of Jura 10yr

Reminds me alot of a less sweet Anejo or a more rich aged Reposado.

Not bad, but I wouldn't say I was in love either. 17.75 pounds @ Waitrose.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Connoisseur

I just purchased a 16yr Bruichladdich Bourbon cask. Started out in JB and finshed in BT casks. Also a 30yr Glen Ord and a 37 yr Speymalt Macallan at Cask Strength. They say the SM(G&M bottling) was erroneously bottled...anyone have any info?
    Dave G.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Isle of Jura 10yr. Reminds me alot of a less sweet Anejo or a more rich aged Reposado...
    I got one of these a few months ago. I liked it. Initial impression of my bottle was sort of a spicey highland, maybe. I haven't gotten back to it for more sampling, but maybe will do that this Christmas since you brought the subject up. I'm getting something you'll appreciate for Christmas, Yamazaki 18yo. I'll compare the two, just for grins.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by loose proton View Post
    I got one of these a few months ago. I liked it. Initial impression of my bottle was sort of a spicey highland, maybe. I haven't gotten back to it for more sampling, but maybe will do that this Christmas since you brought the subject up. I'm getting something you'll appreciate for Christmas, Yamazaki 18yo. I'll compare the two, just for grins.
    Ohh you suck! I cant even imagine there being a comparison between the two but I would be curios how the 18 stacks up against the 12 as I have read many state a preference for the 12 which I love.

I'm hoping to come away from this trip with at least a couple Japanese selections as I am in the UK till a little past the new year. Im angling for Hibiki from the Barrel and I'll try to keep away from the card series from the defunct distllier who's name escapes me now.

I have noticed the malt receding from the Jura since it's been open a few days and a bit of spice coming out which is a good thing.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

Advanced Taster

On re-sip of the Jura, I definitely see the comparison to a well refined anejo. It's like a highland anejo blend in both initial sip and afterglow. Very astute of you to make the connection. I've compared well aged anejo to whiskey but never the other way around.

The Yamazaki 18yo is a completely different drink. Like a spicey Glenmorangie. It has the complexity one hopes for in a quality beverage as well as unique flavors setting it apart from American and European offerings. It has little wood so I don't know why a 12yo might be better unless it were less spicey. I like the spice. I don't have a 12yo in the larder for direct comparison so will dig one up.
    Last edited by loose proton; 12-25-2009 at 21:46.

Disciple

Nice review. I love Yamakazi 10 and a spicy Glenmorangie sounds excellent. I really dont mind the Glen, it's just not very interesting.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009