Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 32 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks unclebunk. Of the four you mention, which do you prefer. Also, which has the most peat and smoke (I'm an Islay lover). Have you had Black Bottle? What did you think about that in relation to those others?
    I went through a phase when I was drinking all things Islay and put away a few bottles of Black Bottle. I enjoy it quite a bit for what it is but found that Islay Mist 8 Year Old had about as much peat/smoke flavor and even a touch more body perhaps. It costs only $1 more at Binny's, so I usually alternate buying them, as they make a nice Laphroaig alternative for when my friends are coming over to play cards, for example, and I don't care to blast through an entire bottle of Laphroaig due to the cost involved. Having said all that, none of the four whiskies we're talking about (Famous Grouse, Teacher's, Ballantine's and White Horse) are even remotely like an Islay whisky. While they each have varying degrees of peat and smoke, none possess the brine, seaweed and iodine flavors found in the Islay malts. Perhaps you can find a few miniatures to sample before investing in entire bottles to satisfy your curiosity. Alternatively, buy them one at a time, drink them down until you've got a quarter of a bottle or less, then buy the next one until you've got a stable of four to compare and contrast more than once, since one exposure rarely gives you a great understanding of what you're drinking anyway.

If I had to rate flavor intensity, I'd say Teacher's (with Ardmore as a fingerprint malt) and White Horse (with Lagavulin as a component) are the smokiest and have some presence of peat in the mix. The Ballantine's Finest and Famous Grouse would similarly stand shoulder to shoulder, with the former having a touch more smoke and complexity. But I would not call any of them necessarily better than the others because I think they are all quality blends that satisfy different tastes. I personally drink more of the Teacher's and White Horse than the other two, but that's just the way my tastes run. My brother prefers the Ballantine's and Famous Grouse, so who's to say? There's always room on the bar for one more bottle, so start sampling and let me know what you think.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig CS. Got both open on the bar, just needed to replenish the bunker.
    TJ

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I went through a phase when I was drinking all things Islay and put away a few bottles of Black Bottle. I enjoy it quite a bit for what it is but found that Islay Mist 8 Year Old had about as much peat/smoke flavor and even a touch more body perhaps. It costs only $1 more at Binny's, so I usually alternate buying them, as they make a nice Laphroaig alternative for when my friends are coming over to play cards, for example, and I don't care to blast through an entire bottle of Laphroaig due to the cost involved. Having said all that, none of the four whiskies we're talking about (Famous Grouse, Teacher's, Ballantine's and White Horse) are even remotely like an Islay whisky. While they each have varying degrees of peat and smoke, none possess the brine, seaweed and iodine flavors found in the Islay malts. Perhaps you can find a few miniatures to sample before investing in entire bottles to satisfy your curiosity. Alternatively, buy them one at a time, drink them down until you've got a quarter of a bottle or less, then buy the next one until you've got a stable of four to compare and contrast more than once, since one exposure rarely gives you a great understanding of what you're drinking anyway.

If I had to rate flavor intensity, I'd say Teacher's (with Ardmore as a fingerprint malt) and White Horse (with Lagavulin as a component) are the smokiest and have some presence of peat in the mix. The Ballantine's Finest and Famous Grouse would similarly stand shoulder to shoulder, with the former having a touch more smoke and complexity. But I would not call any of them necessarily better than the others because I think they are all quality blends that satisfy different tastes. I personally drink more of the Teacher's and White Horse than the other two, but that's just the way my tastes run. My brother prefers the Ballantine's and Famous Grouse, so who's to say? There's always room on the bar for one more bottle, so start sampling and let me know what you think.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated. I have a regular place that cuts me deals and I can get the 1.75 of Ballantine's there for just under $20. So I can't really lose on eway or the other.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Finally, BOWMORE 1957 bottle #517/#861, still pretty pumped up. Never thought I would spend that kind of money for a bottle. It is an investment, good or bad-I have one, and can look at it whenever I want too. That is worth something to me.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Finally, BOWMORE 1957 bottle #517/#861, still pretty pumped up. Never thought I would spend that kind of money for a bottle. It is an investment, good or bad-I have one, and can look at it whenever I want too. That is worth something to me.
    Congrats!!! What did this investment cost you?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Though this was hard for me to believe I went into a store today and the Whisk(e)y section was in a different room than all the other things. This old man comes up and says may I help you? To which I reply well you whisk(e)y section is very difficult to see, to which he replies well come back here with me.
    I almost fell over when I noticed another Ardbeg 1977 on the shelf. Needless to say this little fella followed me home and is safe in the bunker. I will say this may be one of the best SMS I've ever enjoyed.

The picture is on the what Bourbon did you purchase today thread due to many bottles picked up today.

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Congrats!!! What did this investment cost you?
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ad.php?t=13238

Enthusiast

Picked up Batch 27 of Abelour Abundah and Dalwhinnie 15. Looking forward to trying them both.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Picked up Batch 27 of Abelour Abundah and Dalwhinnie 15. Looking forward to trying them both.
    Please post you impressions of the Batch 27 - it's the one that's showing up around here.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Advanced Taster

Today I just got the Signatory Glen Grant 26 Year Old 59.1% distilled in 1976, bottle #53 of 261. Normally I only buy one or two SMS periodically to replace what I have on the bar, and nothing too exotic, but I had to have this one since it was distilled four days after I was born. It finally ends my quest for a 1976 SMS that I can only take a pour from on significant occasions. Now I just have to hope that it's a good SMS since it's supposed to be around for a long while!