Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

My Ultima was 119.00 with a discount. I bought a bunch of other stuff from the same store and they gave me a price break. I did see one at another store that was 179.00 and had the box with it. Mine didn't have the box. Most of these I have seen have been 149.00 to 179.00. The Scapa was 43.00 with tax. I haven't seen these for much less than 60.00 until now. I think the store I got it at had one more!

Thomas

Virtuoso

I bought my very first bottle of Scotch last night - traded actually. I got a Compass Box Flaming Heart and gave up a Handy from my bunker. I had only occasionally finished a pour of Scotch previously so this was a breakthrough of sorts.

We did a Compass Box tasting last night and there wasn't one I didn't care for in the entire line up. For me the Flaming Heart obviously stood out along with Eluthera and Spice Tree. No complaints with Alysia, Hedonism or Oak Cross either - overall I was very impressed and thought it was a delicious line up of whiskeys at very reasonable prices.

Connoisseur

Went to our local monthly whiskey club tasting tonight and really enjoyed a 30 year old Deanston. However, I ended up leaving it on the shelf and chose to bring home a Laphroaig 30 instead. I also picked up an Ardberg Rollercoaster that the spirits mgr had been able to get for me.

Tom

Advanced Taster

I went to the store with a completely different plan in mind (bourbon buying was the original agenda), but there were two bottles of Laphroaig Cask Strength on the Scotch shelves. I haven't been able to find it locally so far, and everything I've read about it has convinced me I needed to try it, so one of the two came home with me. This is one I've really been looking forward to, so I hope it lives up to expectations.

Mike
    Never ask a man if he is from Virginia. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you don't want to embarass him.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rocky480 View Post
    I went to the store with a completely different plan in mind (bourbon buying was the original agenda), but there were two bottles of Laphroaig Cask Strength on the Scotch shelves. I haven't been able to find it locally so far, and everything I've read about it has convinced me I needed to try it, so one of the two came home with me. This is one I've really been looking forward to, so I hope it lives up to expectations.

Mike
    Hey Mike. I'm curious about that one too. I'd like to read your take on it.

Guru

Stopped by my local ABC and picked up a Aberlour a'bunadh, batch 29. When I got home I had no intention of bunkering it. I opened it and poured a nice healthy dram. I love that stuff.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I bought my very first bottle of Scotch last night - traded actually. I got a Compass Box Flaming Heart and gave up a Handy from my bunker. I had only occasionally finished a pour of Scotch previously so this was a breakthrough of sorts.
    Another virgin done gone! Hope you enjoy the Flaming Heart as much as I think you will.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rocky480 View Post

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Hey Mike. I'm curious about that one too. I'd like to read your take on it.
    Personally, as much as I love the Laphroaig Cask Strength, I prefer the Quarter Cask for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on why that is but I'll keep drinking and get back to you. Hope you love it, just the same.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Personally, as much as I love the Laphroaig Cask Strength, I prefer the Quarter Cask for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on why that is but I'll keep drinking and get back to you. Hope you love it, just the same.
    Thanks for distinguishing those. Now that you've mentioned "Quarter Cask", I'm pretty sure that is the one I've seen.

Enthusiast

A couple bottles of The Black Bottle (no way to get proper syntax in that sentence, sin tax is a whole nuther subject) and a handle of Jameson, a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Whee!
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead