Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 142 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Cragganmore 12 is a terrific dram. It has about the busiest nose in SMS; sort of the Elmer T. Lee of the Scotch world.

Regards,

Connoisseur

I picked up 4 bottles.

Highland Park 18, Longmorn 15, Dalmore 12, and Laphroaig 10. Been drinking a lot of Scotch lately and needed to replace some fallen (or soon-to-fall) soldiers.

Regards,

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I picked up 4 bottles.

Highland Park 18, Longmorn 15, Dalmore 12, and Laphroaig 10. Been drinking a lot of Scotch lately and needed to replace some fallen (or soon-to-fall) soldiers.

Regards,
    That's a nice haul there, T. How is Dalmore? Been interested in trying it...

Yesterday I picked up some Redbreast 12 for the first time. Very mellow and subtle, as I would expect from a triple-distilled Irish. Some toasted nut/coffee cake aromas, with wood and sherry flavours. More balanced than Jameson 12, I would say.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Yesterday I picked up some Redbreast 12 for the first time. Very mellow and subtle, as I would expect from a triple-distilled Irish. Some toasted nut/coffee cake aromas, with wood and sherry flavours. More balanced than Jameson 12, I would say.
    Rb 12 is my favorite Irish.

I also use it in my favorite malt vatting, a 1:1 with a'bunadh. Both are very rich, and the Rb cuts the peat and sherry. Plus the resulting proof is about 100, which is, as Goldilocks would say, "just right".
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Connoisseur

Agreed. Redbreast is simply fantastic with the fullest mouthfeel of an 80-proofer I know.

Dalmore is very good and an excellent value. The 12 is well-balanced, purportedly a 60:40 bourbon cask:sherry cask ratio. The sweet vanilla and beautiful fruit (orange, mostly, and some plum) mean that it can be used as an after dinner drink, but it's not so sherry heavy as some other Highland malts have become, so it's good anytime. In the UK, the bottling has changed to a 50:50 ratio, and I have not tasted this more sherry-heavy version, but it will probably replace the current version on US shelves soon (with a price increase, no doubt). I don't go as crazy for the Dalmore Cigar Malt, but it is rumored to be whiskey in its teens. It's more sherried and richer and quite good with chocolate (and cigars, though I actually prefer it with a good Virginia pipe tobacco).

Regards,

Advanced Taster

I went to Specs today and got a bottle of Glenfarclas 105. I haven't have this particular release. I also bought 3 bottles of 1.75 liters of Glen Parker for my home maturing project.

Virtuoso

Today I picked up a Redbreast 12 yr. Looking forward to enjoying some this evening.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Today I picked up a Redbreast 12 yr. Looking forward to enjoying some this evening.
    Please let us know your thoughts. If you have had Jameson 12 or Black Bush, I am interested in your differences between them

Virtuoso

The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!

Thanks, I think I will purchase a bottle this weekend!