Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 142 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The Redbreast is really quite nice. I've had the Jamesons 12 but not the Bushmills. The Redbreast reminds me of a combo of Old Pulteney for brine, some Talisker for spice, and Balvenie doublewood for the sherry notes. It is superior to the Jamesons no doubt. I don't have them side-by-side so this is from memory. I last had the Jamesons about 3 weeks ago. All in all terrific whisky!
    Are you comparing Redbreast 12 to regular Jameson? If so, you really should try Jameson 12, as it is a much fairer comparison. I still think Redbreast wins for balance, though. Jameson 12 is almost completely overtaken by the sherried wood, whereas Redbreast leaves room for lovely malt flavour.

Connoisseur

Agreed. Jameson 12 is better than Jameson, and plain ol' Jameson is better than it used to be: Jim Murray has pointed out that the pot still stuff that once wound up in Powers seems to be getting into Jameson bottles these days. Regardless, I prefer all of 'em to most of the Bushmills I've tasted (Black Bush excepted: what a balanced dram it is, and just right before a hearty dinner).

Regards,

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Are you comparing Redbreast 12 to regular Jameson? If so, you really should try Jameson 12, as it is a much fairer comparison. I still think Redbreast wins for balance, though. Jameson 12 is almost completely overtaken by the sherried wood, whereas Redbreast leaves room for lovely malt flavour.

You are right Sir. It was Jamesons and not Jamesons 12 I that I had for comparison. Thanks for the correction.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Yesterday I purchased the Compass Box Peat Monster, since it was $10 off at the LCBO. Pretty good so fa, though I've only had one drink. Less salty than most Islays I've had. More smoke and peat, with some Speyside character hiding beneath the tangy burnt-grass aromas. It will definitely require further exploration...

Connoisseur

New purchase; Danfield's Limited Edition 21-year-old. This stuff is excellent. Lots of vanilla, hints of fruit and butterscotch. Full on the palate, with a huge oak presence.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    New purchase; Danfield's Limited Edition 21-year-old. This stuff is excellent. Lots of vanilla, hints of fruit and butterscotch. Full on the palate, with a huge oak presence.
    Sounds very nice. Is the Danfield's a sherry cask or bourbon?
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Definitely not sherry; probably refill bourbon or whatever the Candian standard is.

I now have the two oldest Canadian whiskies on the market in my collection...

Virtuoso

OK guys go easy on me, I'm not sure where I'm at (due to the fact) I've never been in this area of the board !

Well thanks to the advice of some folks here (STU and AVB (also on cigarpass) thank you both) I picked up today for a very modest price.

Ardbeg 1977 in the box, ran out and grabbed it at lunch, so no picture but I may post one latter tonight.

This makes for my second bottle of SMS...the first was a purchase due to a right up from Eric Meir who raved about the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (AKA the Beast) which I too really enjoy. I'm hoping the 1977 is just as good.

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    ...Well thanks to the advice of some folks here (STU and AVB (also on cigarpass) thank you both) I picked up today for a very modest price.

Ardbeg 1977 in the box, ran out and grabbed it at lunch, so no picture but I may post one latter tonight.

This makes for my second bottle of SMS...the first was a purchase due to a right up from Eric Meir who raved about the Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (AKA the Beast) which I too really enjoy. I'm hoping the 1977 is just as good.

Cheers!

Tony
    Holy Crap! Part of me wants to know how much this cost you and part of me does not.
    I do however, hope you found it for a really good 'ole dusty-bottle price as it's definitely considered a collectible by anyone who knows and loves Ardbeg. Glad to hear you'll be cracking it open as it would be a shame to let it sit.

Since attending a tasting of Laphroaig, I've hunted down older bottlings of:
    Laphroaig (10 yr, 10 yr cask strength, 15 yr, and a 30 yr); Ardbeg (10 yr, the Beast and 17 yr); and Lagavulin 16 yr (one older White Horse bottle and a current bottling too).

And please, oh please, let me be the first to beg, borrow and plead...
    Should you find and/or know the whereabouts of another I would love to have a bottle. Closest I've gotten in my hunts is the 17 yr and it's fantastic!

As it seems you enjoy the Islay style, do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yr - it's incredible!

Congrats on a great find... oh, and you suck!

~tp
    Last edited by tango-papa; 10-03-2008 at 17:15.

Virtuoso

Todd, thank you...I think ! I did notice tonight this stuff says unchill filtered and 46% so I think it will be great! Here are a couple pics, The guy says he has more at the other store so well see Monday! Price was a couple dollars cheaper than the Beast I bought this summer.

Tony

Damn not sure why those came in sideways but I can not fix it now! Sorry but you can flip your lap top side ways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"