Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 79 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

Haven't posted here in a while, but probably will start again. I am on a low budget so I think I might pick up a bottle of Black Bottle tomorrow. From what I have read it sounds like it will be a nice blend.

Unless someone has a better recommendation. I have had Grant's..it was OK. Single Malts Laphroaig I think 10 year. Glenmorangie..I think it was their standard issue. Johnny Walker Black miniature but I don't remember the taste.
    Last edited by bgast1; 11-21-2011 at 00:36.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Great description! I love that profile - replace the farmhouse with an old boat garage and you have a Port Ellen. Springbank is a treasure.

I think there is some boat garage in there too...I was a little sleepy when I wrote that and I forgot about probably the most noticeable component: brine.

This Springbank is possibly the saltiest whisky I've ever tasted, easily as salty or more than Talisker. Has a very kippery note to it as a result.

But having grown up in South Dakota I have a lot more connection to hay and tractors than fish and boats

Disciple

A Signatory Blair Athol 11yr. old, barreled in 1998 and bottled in 2009. Not much of this makes it to the US. Got my bottle just in time. Only 3 left when I ordered it!

Thomas

Taster

Ardbeg 10 years old. Never had it before but I sure hope it is good. I like Laphroaig but have not had any other Islay's except Black Bottle.

Virtuoso

I bet you'll like it. How do you like the Black Bottle?

Taster

I liked the Black Bottle, especially the price. It's all gone now. It was no where near as challenging as the Laphroiag was but it had good smoke. I guess that is why I like the Islay's. I definitely will buy it again if I am looking at price.

Almost bought a bottle of Lagavulin (sp?) 16 instead. Don't know which will be the better scotch.

I downloaded this book called 101 Whisky's to try before you die onto my phone, since I really have no clue what to try. Was looking for Aberfeldy first at Binny's but didn't see it. Black Bottle was also one of the whiskys listed. The Ardbeg 10 years old is also on the list.

From the description of the Ardbeg, my expectations are way high and if the description holds true I am almost sure that I will like it very much.

Disciple

Got a Tomatin 12yr. and a Bunnahabhain 8yr. G&M, both of which were aged in sherry barrels as well as a bottle of Old Pulteney 12yr. Also got a bottle of a new version of Jamesons Irish called Black Barrel. I have never been disappointed by anything Jamesons produces. I really like the whisky/whiskey aged in sherry barrels!

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasH; 12-08-2011 at 16:29.

Connoisseur

Bought a 1991 Balvenie PortWood 14yo, the release for France. Should be here in about 10 days.
    Illuminati in training

Virtuoso

I did not pick it up today but after reading the reviews on the web, my next visit to the area will be bringing home a Glendronach 1968 25yr old. I was able to taste this scotch once at the "Dog's" house and misplaced it in my memory bank. Soon this will be on the bar! Yay!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

I yielded to a complete marketing ploy, but I couldn't resist. Hopefully, a bottle of Compass Box's "The Last Vatted Malt" will find its way across the pond to my door.

Tom