Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Virtuoso

Angry Whoa! Prices Rising on Bourbon!!!

I just got back from a liquor store I consider to be pretty good on prices and everything is shooting up by like $5-$6 bucks!!!

For example....The Lot B went from $42 to $49, the Bakers from $36 to $41, The Buffalo Trace from $26 to $30, etc... what the hell is going on!!!! Pappy 20 still at $90 but I wonder what's next!!! Anyone else notice these fast rising prices.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Re: Whoa! Prices Rising on Bourbon!!!

Hey James it's going up every where! Not to point out the obvious but with that post, you're going to have to change your quote at the bottom !!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Sounds like your store just reordered and noticed the increase in shipping and bottle cost that have been going on...several bottlings have gone up in the last year or so, and shipping has too.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

With fuel prices running at 4.50 to 4.80 a gallon for diesel, expect everything to go up and up and up........... Whiskey ain't the half of it. I just paid 1.99 for a dozen eggs...........Last week I put 26 gallons of gas in my truck.......105 dollars.......

Connoisseur

The government is using a weeks worth of corn for a family of four and three gallons of fuel to create four gallons of ethanol. What do you expect? Both food and fuel will rise in price. It ain't over yet!

Apprentice

...And it's going to get worse before it gets better. Unfortunately.
    -James

"May you die well!" - Klingon toast

Virtuoso

I have really gotten into the bourbon scene heavily in the last 6 months. For the most part I shop at the same stores. What I have been surprised at is how fluid the prices are between stores. For most bourbons in my price range ($20-30) I am regularly finding a 5-6 dollar difference between stores. In some cases up to 8 dollars. The thing is that there is no rhyme or reason or consistency between stores. For instance one store might have EC12 for 21 and ERSB10 for 32 while the other store has EC12 for 26 and ERSB10 for 28. With the rising prices, I am ready to start shopping around depending on the bourbon I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    ...For the most part I shop at the same stores. What I have been surprised at is how fluid the prices are between stores. For most bourbons in my price range ($20-30) I am regularly finding a 5-6 dollar difference between stores. In some cases up to 8 dollars. The thing is that there is no rhyme or reason or consistency between stores...
    Oh, there's a reason -- it's called, "when they buy". A lot of bourbons/whiskeys/liquors have seen price increases lately, mostly because of the gasoline cost of transporting them, partially because of grain prices. If all the liquor I'm offering is at 'old' prices, I'm below market today. If I restocked my shelves yesterday, them I'm at market -- and likely at a higher price.
    By all means, take advantage of those stores that are still below the market. But, understand, when they restock their shelves, their prices likely will increase.
    Tim

Taster

Howdy,

In addition to the previously posted reasons, the price of Corn is likely to increase even more as a result of the flooding in the MidWest ( Corn crop losses, I'm assuming). My Heart goes out to the good people of Iowa, Missouri, et al.

Eggman