Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many wine glasses needed?

I'm reada a LOT of info on the web. I pretty much don't see a need for 150 different wine glasses for different wines or regions etc.

Does anyone here have a personal recommendation on perhaps 1 or 2 wine glasses that will fit the bill?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: How many wine glasses needed?

Just go to IKEA or Linens&Things and get yourself a set of red and white glasses...these can be had for as little as $10 for 6 of each and are perfectly serviceable.

For a bit more money you can get Riedel Ouverture, the "beginner line", which just happens to have a red, a white, a flute, a handful of spirits and an oversized red...even these guys know you don't really need 80 different glasses to be able to enjoy wine.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

What Timothy said!

I would also get a specialty glass for what ever type of wine you enjoy the most. Also, some of the odds and ends retailers(Ross & Marshalls) have nice sets for very little money. I scored a very nice set of crystal rocks glasses for less than $4 at Ross.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

also agreed.......................

Connoisseur

The question is how serious are you about wine.

The first thing is how many different wines do you drink. If you only drink 3-4 different wines, I would definitely suggest getting the correct glass for each wine. Obviously if you are drinking a large variety, you need to determine where is a good place to draw the line.

Here is my list of glasses

Cabernet/Merlot
    Syrah (Have both stems and the "O" since this is my favorite wine)
    Pinot Noir
    Chardonnay
    Riesling
    Champagne
    Port

Basically, I'm 'new' to tasting all spirits and beer. Before, I just drank beer from bottles. Had spirits in a shot glass. Couldn't differentiate one beer from the next. But now, I appreciate all liquor and beer and realize how complex and how enjoyable they can be.

So with wine also. I have no clue the difference between Merlot or Syrah. I know the difference between scotch and bourbon. Something I didn't know few months ago. (
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    The question is how serious are you about wine.

The first thing is how many different wines do you drink. If you only drink 3-4 different wines, I would definitely suggest getting the correct glass for each wine. Obviously if you are drinking a large variety, you need to determine where is a good place to draw the line.

Here is my list of glasses

Cabernet/Merlot
    Syrah (Have both stems and the "O" since this is my favorite wine)
    Pinot Noir
    Chardonnay
    Riesling
    Champagne
    Port

Guru

If you are semi-serious, get two sets: a (relatively) smaller one for whites and a (relatively) larger one for reds ---- if not, get a medium-sized set and use for both.

If you're into sparkling wines, get a set of flutes --- to preserve the bubbles.

If anyone drinking your wine has the temerity to make a fuss about the glass (assuming it's clean) --- don't invite them back. They're bad company and will likely ruin the occasion in other ways.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Irreverent One

I would agree with those who say a set of smaller for white and a set of larger for reds, with the following qualification:

If you are serious about Pinot Noir (as in making an effort to get good ones), then you'll find that the "balloon" type glass really enhances PN.

We have three sets of Riedel Vinums: the "Chardonnay" which we use for all whites, the "Burgundy" which we use for PN, and the "young Bordeaux" which we use for all other reds.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

I was watching a travel show the other night and I noticed that in several Italian sidewalk cafes, they were serving red wine in 6-oz tumblers. I don't mean those stemless wine glasses- I mean something very similar to rocks glasses.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OldJack View Post
    I was watching a travel show the other night and I noticed that in several Italian sidewalk cafes, they were serving red wine in 6-oz tumblers. I don't mean those stemless wine glasses- I mean something very similar to rocks glasses.
    You see that a lot in sidewalk cafes in Italy (Rome, anyway)...not as pretty as a traditional stem, but functional non the less for everyday type of wines.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile