Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Too Many Michiganders

I too hail from the Great Lakes state. My name is Josh and I like Bourbon. I live in Royal Oak, Michigan (a 5 minute drive or 20 minute bike ride from Holiday Market) with my wife, two cats, wildflowers and too much over-priced booze.

I started exploring the wonderful world of Bourbon in ernest about a year ago spurred on by a great Kentucky vacation and the purchase of the Book of Classic American Whiskeys by Waymack and Harris which I purchased at a used bookstore.

The highlight of that vacation last summer was probably that wonderful tour at MM in Loretto. The fact that our 20-something tourguide flirted with me while my wife was in the restroom was a bonus.

My tastes lean to the more classic bourbon side of the likes of the Beam stuff, HH and Barton, although I do love MM and maltier stuff like Old Charter. WT is good too, but I'm not a huge fan of a heavy rye taste in a Bourbon.

Anyhow, I could go on, but I'll save some material for other posts.

Virtuoso

Re: Too Many Michiganders

Hey Josh, welcome to the site. Sounds like a great vacation...you can't go wrong with a trip to KY. I work in Rochester Hills so I'm just north of you. If you ever want to talk Whiskey after work, we can grab a drink down town Royal Oak some time. Sounds like you might like some WL Weller Antique if you have not had.

Cheers and enjoy the ride!

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

You can never have too many.
    Anybody else from this area headed to the Robert Plant/Alison Kraus show in Detroit tonight?
    Craig

Guru

Thanks for the suggestion AC. I've been trying to try some Weller, but when I look for it all I can find are tags under empty shelves. I've asked the Holiday Mkt. guys, and the people at my other source what the deal w/the Weller is and they say they don't think its been discontinued, but they're just not getting any of it in. If somebody knows the story on what's going on, maybe they can enlighten me.

Anyway, a drink after work sounds great. Shoot me an email or PM and we can work out a time. It's great to find other ppl, especially ppl in the area, who like bourbon as much as I do!

Virtuoso

Josh, Grape Vine on 15 Mile and Van Dyke has everything you need, WLW 07', Antique, and maybe one Centennial (10yr 100 proof). PM me if you need directions but it's 20 minutes from you.

Cheers!

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Welcome... A toast to you with some Weller... You've got a great bourbon resource up there... With Tony

Look forward to your posts

Guru

Welcome aboard Josh.
    A good friend of mine lives in Royal Oak, he's a good friend because he has a swimming pool!
    Gonna be cooling off at his place soon.
    ovh

Guru

Thanks AC, I'll have to check that out. I normally shop at Holiday & the huge wine shop w/the creepy stuffed animals on Chicago Rd. (13 mi.) just behind the GM Tech Center in Warren. They have a pretty good selection of bourbons and a strangely huge collection of blended American Whiskey. And something called "Jeremiah Weed" that claims to be a bourbon liqueur.

A few weeks ago I bought a bottle of Old Fitz there that looked like it had been sitting on the shelf for 20 yrs which I drank. There were still a couple of them left when I got it & when I went there today I was going to snatch one up just to have on the shelf, but they were all gone. They did have one bottle of a $40+ gussied-up version of Old Charter that the tag underneath said had been discontinued. I would have gotten it, but I don't like sleeping on the couch. So I got a $7 bottle of HH.

Anyway, thanks for the warm (with overtones of vanilla and caramel) welcome everybody! Cheers!
    Last edited by Josh; 06-17-2008 at 15:05.

Novice

I'm brand new here as well, but I'll certainly say hello.

Guru

Josh,

Welcome to the board. The MI gang is growing. Royal Oak is an nice city. I lived in Huntington Woods just north of the golf course for many years 1973-1990 then moved to Livonia.

That OC if it is 13 years old and has slanted shoulders and is from the Bourbon Heritage Collection, at $40 is a little over priced but it's a great drink. Before they were discontinued that retailed for about $35/bottle.

Here is a link to the state price list. http://www.cis.state.mi.us/lcc_code/...=31&type2.y=24

This is the minimum price stores have to charge. They may legally charge more and many do. I'm a cheapskate and I like the thrill of driving the bargain so I usually ask how badly they want to get rid of something. I'm assuming that if it is not in the book they are not bound to the state minimum as there no longer is one.

Anyhow happy hunting and welcome.

Will