Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: Monterey Rye - Age Your Own Rye

could add some oil and dip bread into it... sorry for the first "not so good" try. But keep at it.

Connoisseur

Lear,

sorry to hear that as well. But at least you saved me $30 from buying this stuff. I think it's worth giving them feedback. Maybe they will give you some replacement product or something.

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

I'm now on bottle 2 of the Monterey Rye. For my first bottle, I used the (medium toast?) American oak stick that came with the bottle for ~ month, and then switched the oak out to heavy toast American for another week or so.

On the addition of the heavy toast cubes the color darkened quickly...thus after just a week or so I took them out. The result was interesting, though I think I learned a lesson with the heavy toast ... a little goes a long way. My Rye had a distinctly toasted flavor, borderline burnt. It was actually not bad - just very, erm, different. The color was about as dark as I've ever seen in a whisky. I have photos, perhaps I'll post somewhere shortly.

For bottle two, I've had the stock American Oak stick in the bottle for almost a month now. My medium toast Hungarian oak cubes just arrived today, so I think I'll switch to the Hungarian oak and see how the flavor develops. I haven't sampled this bottle at all yet. But will take a sip out before adding the Hungarian.

For my third bottle, I'm thinking of putting the oak in some port for a couple weeks first, and then putting the oak in the whisky. Has anyone tried something like this? Any recommendations on time, etc.?

- GregR

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Graeck View Post
    For my third bottle, I'm thinking of putting the oak in some port for a couple weeks first, and then putting the oak in the whisky. Has anyone tried something like this? Any recommendations on time, etc.?

- GregR
    It sounds like a worthy experiment to me, Greg. As far as time goes, I can't help you much. I've only done re-barreling, and I think the chips work a lot faster. Best bet is to sample weekly or so--just do it regularly to gauge the progress. I'd like to see some pictures, and perhaps, one day, we could exchange samples.

I have to ask though, did a vinegar taste come through in your bottles?
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    I have to ask though, did a vinegar taste come through in your bottles?
    No, I haven't had anything like that. I ran it by two friends who have also been experimenting with MRS, and they didn't have any vinegar flavors either.