Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Latest and more complete information...

I don't remember the name of the liquor store. It was at the end of Hikes Lane on the block next to the old roadbed for Bardstown Road. (Nearby is where Six Mile also runs into the old roadbed for Bardstown Road; also, Bashford Manor Mall is nearby.)

Across the street from the liquor store on Hikes Lane is a shopping center that has seen better days, but it has a Chinese restaurant that has received Best of L'ville awards in years gone by.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Okay that is Skyway. Nice shop, Not a fancy place, Near the White Castle also. Around the corner on Old Bardstown road they put an Antique mall in an Old High School building, I spent a little time there one day. Found an old Trivet , cast with a flying Duck.

Virtuoso

You da man, Bobby. After my next visit to my Grandmother, it's Skyway for me while my wife hits the antique store. I wonder which one of us will spend more? Actually, that's no contest. Without a doubt, it will be me.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

It is a small world...

I have a extensive collection of the history of bourbon...In particular. My Beam family heritage...The documents don't stop there...My family of Beams have worked in nearly all the major Distilleries in Bourbon History past...It's a difficult task trackin them... because they were in nearly all of the Distilleries...Maker's Mark, Seagrams, Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, Stitzel Weller etc.---

They (My great-grandfather and all of his seven son's worked for Julian P. VanWinkle)---One of my favorite letters (in my collection) is from Mr. VanWinkle...He coined the phrase "The Dean Distiller of his age"...When a man of his calliber makes a statement as such...I truly consider it the highest compliment a Distiller can accomplish ...

Sorry Chuck,

I get ta driftin away alot I have been trying to find out if one my relatives, cousin Charles L. Beam worked with your grandfather...He wrote to my Aunt Jo that, the lab picture (that he sent) was taken in 1947 in Baltimore MD (you mention that your grandfather was in MD)...and that he was a plant superintendent at Joseph E. Seagrams Brands...His exclusive brands were Eagle Rare, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey...

I was trying to find someone you could talk to...not read about...I think that Charles is "da man" ...

I have also spoke with you about the letter that I have on stationary from The Frankfort Distillery....

This is just a small part of that letter...David Beam lived to be 104 years old. He was the grandfather of J.L. Beam present directing authority of distilling operations in Frankfort plants, and the great grandfather of Roy M. Beam, Frankforts chief operating distiller an his six brothers...Sooooooooo by this letter I know that one of my folks probably worked with your grandaddy...

I have a great Aunt Bert Beam (96 years old)...She lives in Louisville, her health is failing but her mind is keen...I wonder if she knew your family...Hell, she probably lives near your grandmother Let me know if you would like to talk to her...

Bettye Jo

Virtuoso

Thanks, Bettye Jo, for the info. I am very grateful for your interest and help in this situation.

I'm having alot of fun investigating my Grandfather's past. It's even more fun when you find out it may intersect with the family of another Bourbonian. Wouldn't it be cool if my Grandfather and one of your relatives, e.g., Charles, had tipped back a few together?

I started doing some Internet research last night. I searched for "Frankfort Distillery" in Google and came up with an article that mentioned the brand spanking new rye distillery that Frankfort Distillers built in Dundalk, MD, right outside of Baltimore. The article says that the plant opened in 1933. This information matches up with what my Grandmother has told me - my Grandfather was working for Frankfort Distillers and was sent to MD in 1933 to work at a new plant.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I didn't believe Boulevard (i.e., Wild Turkey) was ever JTS Brown but according to Cecil, it briefly passed from the Ripy family to Bob Gould, who ran it as JTS Brown before selling it to Austin Nichols in 1972. That seems odd, but I'll take Sam's word for it. Maybe that accounts for why the warehouses at Four Roses are actually owned by Wild Turkey and the Four Roses warehouses are over at Lotus, near Bardstown.

The JTS Brown name is primarily associated with Old Prentice, which is the original name of today's Four Roses, although it was also operated as Old Joe for a time. The "real" Old Joe Distillery is around the corner, virtually adjacent to Four Roses. There's not much left of it today, but Old Joe Peyton started distilling there in 1818.

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info. I haven't really dove into the Old Joe / JTS Brown years yet of my Grandfather's career, but what little I have read of Sam's accounts of the distilleries in Lawrenceburg is complex and will take some more reading for me to sort them out.

Guru

CL,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ... will take some more reading for me to sort them out.

[/QUOTE]

Now there's an understatement if I ever saw one. I really admire Boone, Cowdery, you, and any others who catalog, and in some cases commit to memory, so many details of the history of the bourbon industry. (Of course, if it's also one's own family history, that undoubtedly heightens one's interest.)

When I first joined this discussion group I had no idea of the magnitude of the consolidation that has taken place. I really thought that if I paid attention to all the discussion hereabouts, I would absorb it all. I've found that I just don't have that many unused, functioning brain cells left

Now my personal interest hardly extends past trying to keep track of where the bourbon on the shelves today actually originated. It's good to know why Old Crow isn't what it once was, that I'll probably never find another bourbon to match Hirsch, and that if a bourbon passes through Julian's hands I really needn't concern myself with its origin -- just buy it (if I can find and afford it).

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Virtuoso

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I really admire Boone, Cowdery, you, and any others who catalog, and in some cases commit to memory, so many details of the history of the bourbon industry.

[/QUOTE]

Don't give me any credit! I am just collecting existing information from Sam Cecil, Bettye Jo, and Chuck and weaving it into my Grandfather's life. My contribution, if any, is just giving you all another good story to hear.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I guess I'll dig a little further, I do have in Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon pictures of JTS Brown Trucks etc, Alvin Gould was involved and the picture of the distillery is a nice shot and the warehouse that burned at Wild Turkey is there and Intact, I have an Almost identical picture from the Courier Journal Except the warehouse is in Flames. By the time Kroll had got there for his book Creel Brown had sold out for 10 or 15 years.Creel had sold to the Goulds in 1955 and they moved the label to what is now Wild Turkey.