Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Latest and more complete information...

Wouldn't it be cool if my Grandfather and one of your relatives, e.g., Charles, had tipped back a few together?
    I found another connection (besides the possible one with Bettye Jo's cousin) between my Grandfather and some well known bourbon industry folks. I found out from one of my uncles back in May of this year, that my Grandfather & Grandmother, while in Anderson County in the late 50s, were good friends with the Ripys.

I am going to a wedding this weekend in L'ville and will have access to all my aunts and uncles on that side of the family. I hope I can get more research done.

I also found out from my uncle that my Grandfather had been a taster during his career. Again, I will seek more details this weekend.

Connoisseur

Family Bourbon Connection

If you've not toured the Old Joe or Four Roses distillery I think you'd really enjoy it. The building is quite pretty and they still have an Old Joe sign. If you are attending the Bourbon Festival you can pay $15 on Friday and get in on 1) a talk about bourbon by Jim Rutledge, Master Distiller at 4 Roses (and super nice guy), 2)a tour, and 3) a lunch. And since the Ky Headhunters are playing at the Festival this year I bet they'll be at the lunch.

I look forward to your latest updates after your July Trip.

Virtuoso

Re: Family Bourbon Connection

Thanks for the info on FR. I am going to make a point of going there next time I am in the area (which, unfortunately, won't be the Bourbon festival).

As far as the family update, things didn't work out as planned. The get together I had picked to collect the info was held in a small clubhouse (actually, it was normal size, but we had LOTS of family there). It was too hard to get the aunts and uncles together.

I was going to follow up with them after the wedding via email, but three days after the wedding is when the episode with my father began. Life hasn't settled down any since. (Though, Dad is doing well in the nursing home.)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by CL
    Here's the latest information I have on my Grandfather who worked in the spirits industry from 1928 through 1977, much of it in KY with bourbon. The information I have here is based on two phone conversations with my Grandmother, the first in July 2002 and the second the other night, April 30, 2003. I can't claim that all of it is completely accurate. As time goes on, I will make corrections and add more details.

My grandfather's name was Thomas Holman Bryant; he went by his middle name. He was born on 1/1/11. I remember that he had referred to his birthday as the Five Aces. In his latter childhood, up until he graduated from high school, he lived at 1945 Deerwood Avenue in L'ville. I mention this because I found out from our own Bettye Jo Boone that her grandparents, Harry Milburn Beam and Josephine Rogers Beam, lived at 1832 Deerwood, apparently for part of the same time and that they attended the same church, St. James. (Small world, huh?)

My grandfather graduated from high school in 1928 and went to work for Frankfort Distillers. In 1933, he was sent to Baltimore, MD, to open a plant. He returned in 1936 to marry my Grandmother, Carolyn Klapheke (born 11/5/15). My Mom, Mary Barbara (aka Babs), was their first born in 1937.

After the Frankfort Distillery was bought by Seagrams (1940 something), my Grandfather went to work for Cummins-Collins in L'ville. After the death of Mr. Collins (year?), Cummin-Collins was dissolved (?). Mr. Cummins started the Louisville Distillery on 15th Street and my Grandfather began to work there.

After Mr. Collins died (year?), my Grandfather worked at a couple short jobs before he began to work for Old Joe Distillery (now Four Roses) in Lawrenceburg, KY. At first, my Grandfather commuted weekly to Lawrenceburg, but in the summer of 1952, he moved his family from L'ville to L'burg. If I heard my Grandmother correctly, my Grandfather was the plant manager at Old Joe.

My Grandfather worked for Old Joe for a few years before moving over to JTS Brown on Versailles Parkway (US 62), which I believe is now the Wild Turkey Distillery (I will verify this later).

In the summer of 1955, my Mom moved back to L'ville to work and lived with an Aunt/Uncle. She married my Dad, Donald G. Logsdon, in July 1960, in that same St. James church near Deerwood Avenue. I was their first born in April 1961.

In November 1961, my grandfather moved to Philadelphia to work for JA Daugherty & Sons in Philadelphia. In March 1962, JA Daugherty & Sons was sold in a silent auction won by Publicker Industries. A court battle ensued for some reason and lasted 15 months, during which my Grandfather went to work each day not knowing if he would have a job or not. In 1966, Publicker moved the bottling facility to Linfield, PA. My Grandfather was the manager of this bottling plant.

I lived with my Grandparents for a few months in Linfied in 1967 with my Dad who had just started a job with RCA in Camdem, NJ. I started 1st grade in Linfield. I do remember the school bus dropping me off at the entrance to the bottling plant at the guard house. The guards would call my grandmother to come pick me up. My grandparents lived in a house behind the plant on the Schuykill River. The house was a historic house built in 1740 and served as a post office in Revolutionary days.

After my parents' house in Ft. Mitchell, KY, sold, my Mom and my three younger brothers moved to Linfield in December 1967. In February 1968, my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ. Side note: Though we were in a middle class neighborhood, my next door neighbor was Big Cherry (aka Cherry Hill Fats), a semi-famous swindler (Sylvan Scolnick) who weighed over 700 lbs. and was in jail at the time. Around the corner, about three houses away, was a house built and owned by Al Martino (remember Johnny Fontane in The Godfather?). In an interview, Al said Muhammad Ali was so in love with the house that he tried to buy it away from Al.

Ok, ok, back to my Grandfather. He continued to work at Publicker until he retired in 1977. My Grandparents moved back to Louisville to the house where my Grandmother still lives. My Grandfather passed away passed away in August 1998. But, before then, I was old enough to go to the liquor store on Hikes Lane and buy him some Very Old Barton. :-)

After my Grandfather's death, my Grandmother donated several items to the Getz. (I just found out about this this past week.) In the coming weeks, I will get the list of donated items from her. Our own brendaj (Beej, as Bobby calls her!) has offered to see if any of them are on display at the Getz and take a photo to post here at SB.com.
    I remember your Grand Father Mr Bryant I worked at Kinsey right out of High school in 1966. You are right the House is down by the River at the end of the Plant road. I remember a young girl living there at one time also. Your Grand Father was a nice man and came up from Phila to run the place and to get the Bottling operation running right. The worst days were When Sy Neiman the Chairman came to ride around the Place in his Bently. Do you remember seeing that? The House was beautiful then, it is in ruin now. I remember your Grand Father came suddenly as the man running the Place named Bill can't remember his last name has died. I worked for my first years on the yard crew mowing the Lawns hauling stuff to the dump which was up between the house and the old steer Pens. Dave z

Guru
    Dave z,

It's been several months since CL (Chuck) has posted here. I hope he sees your reply, but I wouldn't count on it.

You might want to click on "CL" to the left of his post and send him an email message.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Virtuoso

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler
    I remember your Grand Father Mr Bryant I worked at Kinsey right out of High school in 1966. You are right the House is down by the River at the end of the Plant road. I remember a young girl living there at one time also. Your Grand Father was a nice man and came up from Phila to run the place and to get the Bottling operation running right. The worst days were When Sy Neiman the Chairman came to ride around the Place in his Bently. Do you remember seeing that? The House was beautiful then, it is in ruin now. I remember your Grand Father came suddenly as the man running the Place named Bill can't remember his last name has died. I worked for my first years on the yard crew mowing the Lawns hauling stuff to the dump which was up between the house and the old steer Pens. Dave z
    Hey, Dave, thanks for the info and the kind words. No, I don't recall ever having seen the Bentley. What was Kinsey? An affiliated company?

Was the young girl my Aunt Margie who was still in High School in 67? She was a sight. ;-) I do remember a middle-aged or older couple living on the first floor in the house. I believe their last name was Romeo, but I wouldn't swear to it. My grandparents had the second floor and third floors.

So did you cut the grass at the house? If so, we probably ran into each other. I probably had to get out of your way one time or another.

Yeah, the house was beautiful back then. I saw it two years ago this month when I was in Philly for business. I went to stay with my uncle and aunt that night in Trappe. We went to the plant the next day. They were doing some environmental clean-up, so the front gate was open and we went in. We nearly drove past the house for lack of seeing it, it was so overgrown with trees. (Good thing I was in a rental car!) The road was like a narrow path through dense overgrowth of trees - a big change from the open cornfields on the left and the large yard on the right when I was there in 67. The house was in too bad a shape to walk into, but the barn had held up well inside. We went inside it. I did take plenty of photos of the both the house and the barn.

I'll run your name and some of the other names you mentioned by my Grandmother. She's still in L'ville, 91 years old about a week ago, still in good shape and kickin'.

Good hearing from you!

Edit: I posted some of the photos from 11/2004 at

http://chuckvt83.smugmug.com/gallery/2134098
    Last edited by CL; 11-14-2006 at 21:06.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

...Good hearing from you!
    And you, too.
    Tim

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon
    And you, too.
    Thanks, Tim. And thanks to Jeff, The Heavy, for emailing me about Dave's post.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Administrator in exile
    You're welcome Chuck, good to see you around here again!
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Disciple

Post Think the girl was your Aunt Margie

Hey, Dave, thanks for the info and the kind words. No, I don't recall ever having seen the Bentley. What was Kinsey? An affiliated company?

Was the young girl my Aunt Margie who was still in High School in 67? She was a sight. ;-) I do remember a middle-aged or older couple living on the first floor in the house. I believe their last name was Romeo, but I wouldn't swear to it. My grandparents had the second floor and third floors.

So did you cut the grass at the house? If so, we probably ran into each other. I probably had to get out of your way one time or another.

Yeah, the house was beautiful back then. I saw it two years ago this month when I was in Philly for business. I went to stay with my uncle and aunt that night in Trappe. We went to the plant the next day. They were doing some environmental clean-up, so the front gate was open and we went in. We nearly drove past the house for lack of seeing it, it was so overgrown with trees. (Good thing I was in a rental car!) The road was like a narrow path through dense overgrowth of trees - a big change from the open cornfields on the left and the large yard on the right when I was there in 67. The house was in too bad a shape to walk into, but the barn had held up well inside. We went inside it. I did take plenty of photos of the both the house and the barn.

I'll run your name and some of the other names you mentioned by my Grandmother. She's still in L'ville, 91 years old about a week ago, still in good shape and kickin'.

Good hearing from you!

Edit: I posted some of the photos from 11/2004 at

http://chuckvt83.smugmug.com/gallery/2134098
    Hi chuck I remember her as having Blond Hair and she used to sit out in the Sun in the summer. I always trimed the lawns down there so we must have met. Your grand father really knew the Bottling Part and really did allot to keep it going then. Sy Neiman would come around every Now and then in His Bently with his wife in a Mink stole and their Pure bred Hunting Show dogs in the car sometimes. It was always a headache for your Grand father when He came around but after he died it never did good again so I guess Mr Neiman knew what He was doing. He had a Large House down the main Line and Called it Inver House after their Distillery in Scotland which still exsists as they sold it. Dave Z