Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Crouching Husband, Hidden Bourbon- Becoming a Whiskey Ninja

Hey heavy collectors, when you started out, did you sneak a few bottles past the Mrs until she got used to your habit?

I've got a few bottles hiding various locations waiting to come slowly into the fold unnoticed. As I drink one thing down, a new bottle magically appears. Thus far, she doesn't seem to notice.

On the one hand, I feel bad for sneaking bourbon around. On the other, I've turned up some gems like OC12 and some older (90s-bottled) Er and I can't pass them up. I drink a bottle or two a week, but I'm buying three or four.

Is this how the madness starts?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Crouching Husband, Hidden Bourbon- Becoming a Whiskey Ninja

I hate to point this out, but any hobby which you have to hide things from the spousal unit probably aren't hobbies you should be participating in...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Show them , show them all. Then go about telling her all about each bottle. The uniqueness of a mashbill, wheaters v rye. Different distilleries, the charcteristics and flavor profiles.

She may see the point, and yet she may not. If it is the money involved, good luck. If it is just bourbon, show her your interest, and hope for the best.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I hate to point this out, but any hobby which you have to hide things from the spousal unit probably aren't hobbies you should be participating in...
    You are right, of course, and at some point I will come clean. I've just outspent my allowance this month. If I don't buy in July, I will be even-steven.

Apprentice

+1.... You think hiding bourbon is bad? One of the guys I ride with has a Ducati, a Victory and all new riding gear hidden at his factory. He kisses his wife goodbye, hops on the Victory she knows of, rides to the factory and gets on his Ducati to come meet us.

I do understand the need to be sneaky though. My wife told me "sure you can get that Ducati Desmocedici RR, I'm sure you'll both be happy together in your new apartment."
    "loud clutches save lives"

My wife was with me when I started getting into this. She's the one that found the Kentucky Bourbon Festival as a mini vacation for us last fall. She's okay with it for the most part. She knows how I am. I'm not the kind of person that gets into something gradually. I usually jump in with both feet. After 26 years of marriage, she's used to it by now. I do get the "wife look" every once in a while when she thinks I'm going a little overboard, but for the most part she's pretty understanding. Her main concern is that I don't turn into an alcoholic. I try to reassure her by letting her know that I don't drink to just be drinking. I just have a passion for bourbon and the many different tastes of bourbon. She's even helped me out some. When I was looking for a bar or something else to put all my stuff in, she suggested stopping by a place where we/she finally found a sideboard with deck for all my bourbon. Even though she doesn't like the taste of any whiskey, she'll taste one once in a while just to keep me happy. She's also got a better nose than I do. She can pick out the different things in the aroma of a bourbon that I can smell, but just can't put my finger on. Maybe you should try involving your wife more in your interest in bourbon. Might be easier than you think. Either way, good luck and keep on keepin' on. Joe
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 06-17-2008 at 15:22.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Honesty is the best policy. And it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Make sure you are as accepting of her hobbies and interests as you would like her to be of yours (That ol' golden rule thing...)
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

I thought the definition of 'Hobby' was an interest which required keeping the true expense from the spousal unit ;-)
    Last edited by RWBadley; 06-17-2008 at 16:47.

Disciple

My wife used to whine when I would bring new bottles home regularly but she quit after trying some different ones and really liking them!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Honesty is the best policy. And it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
    After many years of marriage I've learned that the first statement is true only about 98% of the time. The second statement works about the same percentage.

Make sure you are as accepting of her hobbies and interests as you would like her to be of yours (That ol' golden rule thing...)
    I think if I didn't do this well, we'd have folded long ago. I love her hobbies.

The trouble w/ my hobbies is that I get a new one every year. That's why she hates it when I start in on something new. She knows that a few hundred dollars later, my short attention span sets and BOOM, its something else.

"I thought the definition of 'Hobby' was an interest which required keeping the true expense from the spousal unit"- RWBadley
    Last edited by OldJack; 06-17-2008 at 17:33.