Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Determining Bottle Age

I have come across a few bottles of bourbon that I would like to date. They all have a UPC as well as a Gov. warning so I assume they are all post 1989.

Bakers - UPC code is on a sticker on the bottom of the bottle. It has the old label with a B-85-001. Could this be the first bottling? Is this a similiar taste profile to the current offering?

WT- This is a 1.75 liter of 80 proof. It has a Maryland tax stamp.

Dant - DSP-31. Not sure when this would have last been made.

I have attached a few pics. Also, any thoughts regarding the bourbon's themselves would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cigarnv; 06-18-2008 at 09:10.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Disciple

Re: Determining Bottle Age

There is a two digit number on the bottom of the bottles that should get you real close to the fill date. Usually in the bottom right hand corner of the bottle base, as you hold it on its side.
    The Dant is the only one I can comment on....it is still being made at HH. They seem to have picked up that label in 1992 or so, from UDV/Diageo.

I think the Turkey bottle is also from the mid 1990's.

Oh yeah, you also wanted comments...HH Dant is very low on the Bib scale. Bakers is just another Bean product. The Turkey, on the other hand, is always top notch. It is usually very fat and powerful.
    Last edited by mozilla; 06-18-2008 at 10:30.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Check the bottom of the bottles. Many times there is a two digit number on the bottom that is the year the bottle was made which is usually pretty close to when the whiskey was bottled. Also, the WT bottle appears to have a tamper evident (TE) cap and I think it was mentioned elsewhere on SB that these were first introduced in 1992. I think the Government warning labels started appearing on bottles in 1988 and tax stamps disappeared from bottles in the mid 80's!

Virtuoso

Thanks for the info.. It appears that the WT has a "90" on the bottle bottom which would seem to fit. The Bakers "appears" to have a "92" which would be 1985 +7 years...does this make sense?

The Dant appears to have an "06" which does not seem to fit with the KY-31??
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

I find that version of Baker's to be much fuller-flavored than the current issues. I wish I had more (especially since they were priced around here about $10 lower than current Baker's.
    Tim

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    The Dant appears to have an "06" which does not seem to fit with the KY-31??
    They are probably just using up old labels.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Just for your info., The Dant was made at Heaven Hill in Bardstown before the fire.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

I doubt that, Joe. Have you tasted the Dant recently? It is not 10 yrs old by any means. IIRC, Bettye Jo said that they are allowed to use up old labels in certain circumstances.
    I have a few HH bottles that are labled exactly the same...with the DSP of Bardstown. Also, from BJ....HH is trying to put Bardstown on all their labels...as per Family preference. They are sure proud of their Bardstown facility and employees.

Jeff Mo.

Taster

I have a JW Dant BIB bottle date from 07. Its just another label owned by HH now. Decent but not great.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    I doubt that, Joe. Have you tasted the Dant recently? It is not 10 yrs old by any means. IIRC, Bettye Jo said that they are allowed to use up old labels in certain circumstances.
    I have a few HH bottles that are labled exactly the same...with the DSP of Bardstown. Also, from BJ....HH is trying to put Bardstown on all their labels...as per Family preference. They are sure proud of their Bardstown facility and employees.
    Jeff, are you saying that even though the label says "distilled at DSP-KY31" that it may have actually been distilled at DSP-KY1 or anywhere else?

Thanks!!