Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Old Portrero Rye

Anyone tried these http://tinyurl.com/6h9urj

"loud clutches save lives"

Re: Old Portrero Rye

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...3&postcount=14
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...35&postcount=1
    Also, I've just finished my bottle of the barrel-strength single malt, and have sampled the Hotalings (never would have guessed its age -- seemed like 'rey dog', to me).
    But, the straight rye at barrel proof is the best of the lot, I think.
    Tim

Virtuoso

I don't know whether they are still making the Hoatling's or not. I haven't seen it on the shelf for at least a year.

From Old Potrero, I've tried their regular NAS, which they no longer seem to make, the 18th century and the Hoatlings. I've really liked them all, though I think Hoatling's may have been the best. They have a huge, spicy rye flavor, very different taste from straight rye.

Apprentice

Gracias Amigo's............
    "loud clutches save lives"

Connoisseur

I recently purchased a bottle of Old Potrero Rye Whiskey.

It was pretty confusing to me at first because it reminded me of something but I could not remember what it was. It's got a very smooth taste and I got a nice flavor of creme soda then the finish is very rye.

Nothing like any current American Rye I've tasted and that's what confused me.

Then I figured out what taste this reminded me of and it was Bushmills 16.

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The connection is probably the pot still in both. Also, Potrero rye is quite young and the charred barrel doesn't seem to have a big impact, if it was released at say 4-6 years old I think the resemblance to Irish would not be as strong and Potrero rye would resemble more other American straight ryes.

The recent release of a genever-type gin by Anchor, using a low-distilled rye mash as a base, is very interesting and I look forward to trying it at Gazebo upcoming since a Sb-er stated he would bring it there. For years I have noted that true genever gin used a mash which is essentially like an American rye whiskey mash and the distillation proof was low enough to retain grain flavors, as for rye and bourbon. The differences are that American rye is aged in new charred wood and genever gin is not necessarily aged and when it is, re-used wood has been the norm for a long time.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 09-16-2008 at 09:53.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    The connection is probably the pot still in both. Also, Potrero rye is quite young and the charred barrel doesn't seem to have a big impact, if it was released at say 4-6 years old I think the resemblance to Irish would not be as strong and Potrero rye would resemble more other American straight ryes.

The recent release of a genever-type gin by Anchor, using a low-distilled rye mash as a base, is very interesting and I look forward to trying it at Gazebo upcoming since a Sb-er stated he would bring it there. For years I have noted that true genever gin used a mash which is essentially like an American rye whiskey mash and the distillation proof was low enough to retain grain flavors, as for rye and bourbon. The differences are that American rye is aged in new charred wood and genever gin is not necessarily aged and when it is, re-used wood has been the norm for a long time.

Gary
    ahh interesting about the pot still. I'll have to find some other pot still whiskeys and see if that flavor carries though.

I believe that the bottle said that it was a mingling of whiskeys from 3 to 11 years old (this is the 90 proof version). I'll double check the text tonight. I could be wrong.

I've been keeping my eye out for some of their other offerings so I'll add the genever gin to my mental list.

Greg

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Please indicate that label info, perhaps the current version of Potrero straight rye contains more aged whiskey than it used to. For many years it was not more than 2-3 years old. Still, it sounds like it retains enough young whiskey so its pot still origins are still forward. Generally, a combination of pot stilling and use of unmalted grains produces vigorous flavors. Take WR for example. Irish pure pot still is an analogue. Bushmills, however, is an all-malt drink (I am excluding the blended versions which aren't material in this context). Yet, Bushmills' malts do taste somewhat like a pure pot still (Dublin-style) Irish. There is a lot of discussion why, and I am not sure of the reason.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer View Post
    I believe that the bottle said that it was a mingling of whiskeys from 3 to 11 years old (this is the 90 proof version). I'll double check the text tonight. I could be wrong.
    Let us know, indeed. This sounds very interesting. I'm a fan of Old Potrero and am always eager to see what they come out with next. If this is new, I'll have to try some.

This is a very informative discussion about pot still qualities (thanks Gary and Greg). I've only just begun some exploration of Irish whisky, which I've been enjoying quite a bit.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

Ok, just to clarify what I have been tasting:

Old Potrero Single Malt Rye Whiskey 19th Century Style.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/oldpotrero.htm

It is 90 proof. I assumed it's been out a while but from re-reading some posts about Old Potrero Rye it looks like they did some younger barrel proof bottlings.

I re-read the back label and it does state that the whiskey in this bottle is a mingling of whiskeys from 3 to 11 years old. The color is dark and would indicate to me that the whiskey is over 6 years old at least.

Originally I was very confused by this whiskey because I was prejudiced to thinking it was going to taste like American Ryes so it really threw me off the first taste.

After Gary's comments about the pot still, I went back and had another taste. It certainly made more "sense" to me and I could pick up more flavors that reminded me of some single malts.

This Whiskey is smooth. Has a bit of spice up front with that distinct pot still flavor then I get a very long middle of creme soda then some spice comes back over the sweetness to the finish. It has a "thick" sweetness. Very well balanced.

I paid $53 and I am going to purchase this whiskey again.

Greg