Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

One of Those Bitter Nights

Sometimes during the day, like many of you I suspect, I think about what I will drink that night. And occasionally when the moment comes, and I take my first drink, it tastes bitter and not enjoyable at all, the exact opposite of what I want. Once in a while a salty corn chip or pretzel will change my palate, and I can then enjoy my drink, but other times not.

Why is the drink I enjoy most not palatable at certain times?

Do any of you have similar experiences?

Is there any cause or cure?

Enthusiast

Re: One of Those Bitter Nights

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post

This could do with what you had to eat or drink prior to sitting down with your bourbon. The Bourbon may react with what is coating your tongue or mouth and make it taste like crap.

I haven't had any with Bourbon, but try drinking milk after brushing your teeth

I think you found your cure with the salty chip or pretzel...that is also what I use between Bourbons.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Guru

when I get ready to leave the house when I'm going be eating a meal or drinking any alcohol within a short time, I brush my teeth with baking-soda instead of my regular toothpaste. I highly recommend this practice.

Enthusiast

Sometimes during the day, like many of you I suspect, I think about what I will drink that night. And occasionally when the moment comes, and I take my first drink, it tastes bitter and not enjoyable at all, the exact opposite of what I want. Once in a while a salty corn chip or pretzel will change my palate, and I can then enjoy my drink, but other times not.

Baking soda does work like magic, especially for hard to strip flavors like green onion. If you really want to screw up your palette just eat an asian meal with lots of green onions and other components.

For one: If you ever went to Wine School they first teach you to swab your palette with a piece of dry bread, something neutral. A water biscquit cracker, low-fat saltines can work wonders too. Other than that it's Arm & Hammer baking Soda toothpaste and a shot Listerine, then wait an hour. Buttery and oily substances; potato chips, etc will diminish your taste on contact. Also tobacco products. The answer = cleaning. BB

Disciple

I usually pour myself a bourbon as soon as I get home from work. My wife thinks I just can't wait to start drinking, but the real reason is a little different. When I come home, I typically haven't eaten anything for many hours and have sucked down a bunch of seltzer waters. This is when bourbon tastes the best to me -- after dinner, forget it...too much interference. Also, I have, a couple of times, taken a swig first thing in the morning when my palate is very clean...it tastes awesome under those circumstances, but then, I'm really picky about my tasting conditions.

I like seltzer as a palate cleanser, I think the bubbles help.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post

I like seltzer as a palate cleanser, I think the bubbles help.
    *I seldom have any problems with tasting but I've noticed before or around noontime taste buds are more sensitive to subtle flavors, more than later in the day. There has been a lot of research and study surrounding olfactory and taste and this seems to be the norm. Outside of that, personally - I tend to eat real clean food; no beef, no pork, no egg yolks anymore, due to heart - and body chemistry can shift ones taste in a big way. Seasons too... and if someone has serious dental issues that can be a problem, although - mostly diet. And yes, Perrier and mineral waters do wonders for improving health and ones overall taste factor. Whenever I'm in a restaurant having a meal there's always either Perrier, Pellegrino, or some other mineral water at my plate. If not, order soda water without the citrus. There are lots of variables. BB

Advanced Taster

I always drink Bourbon, and any alcohol for that matter, before I eat dinner, so it's not other food interacting with the booze or my taste buds.

Thanks to your suggestions, I have tried baking soda tooth paste, and soda crackers, and soda water, but my problem with bitterness is getting worse. It used to be only once in a while, but now I have not enjoyed Bourbon (or Rye) neat for more than one week. If I mix the Bourbon with soda water it tastes fine, but all the flavors are very muted, of course.

I have pinpointed the bitter taste to the finish, and I used to really enjoy the finish. It does not matter what Bourbon I try. Even my favorite (WLW '08) has a bitter after taste.

What am I to do? Drink all my fine Bourbon with soda? Become a Scotch drinker?

Guru

I always drink Bourbon, and any alcohol for that matter, before I eat dinner, so it's not other food interacting with the booze or my taste buds.

Thanks to your suggestions, I have tried baking soda tooth paste, and soda crackers, and soda water, but my problem with bitterness is getting worse. It used to be only once in a while, but now I have not enjoyed Bourbon (or Rye) neat for more than one week. If I mix the Bourbon with soda water it tastes fine, but all the flavors are very muted, of course.

I have pinpointed the bitter taste to the finish, and I used to really enjoy the finish. It does not matter what Bourbon I try. Even my favorite (WLW '08) has a bitter after taste.

What am I to do? Drink all my fine Bourbon with soda? Become a Scotch drinker?
    Calling Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard!!!
    We have an emergency here!!!!
    ovh

Guru

.... I have tried baking soda tooth paste
    Baking soda/water as a toothpaste or baking soda toothpaste

I was talking about just wetting your toothbrush with water and adding a sprinkle of baking soda.

In any case, if every bourbon you taste is always "bitter" every time something ain't right.

The tannins that come from the wood I suppose could be experienced as bitter but it should be offset with sugars extracted from the caramelized layer. How about other foods with tannins, red wine? tea?

Advanced Taster

Red wine almost always tastes bitter to me (so I don't drink it), and I drink my tea in the mourning, a full twelve hours from when the Bourbon begins.