Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hello From Arizona

My name is John and I live in Queen Creek Arizona which is a little town just outside of Phoenix. This is the time of year that Arizonans usually spend bunkered under air conditioners. This year I hope to spend my A/C bunker hours trying and enjoying new bourbons.

Here's the brief history of how I came to be here:

I can't say that I'm new Bourbon, but I can say I'm new appreciating Bourbon. I used to a "beer" man. I'd love the good ones and drink the bad ones, and always be on the lookout for something new. Just because I was into beer didn't mean I wasn't known for throwing back a Jack & Coke or having a few shots of Maker's with friends.

All that changed a few months ago when I was at a restaurant in Phoenix called The Stockyards. I was enjoying a very good cut of prime rib when I stopped the waiter and asked him what he though would go well with the prime rib. I was about to tell him that I meant beer, not wine, but he answered before I could say anything. He told me I wanted Knob Creek straight up. Normally I would have dismissed this idea and gone over the beer list with him, but his lack of hesitation and confidence in answering changed my mind. I decided to take him up on it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Knob Creek, so I went to pick up a bottle and also visited the Small Batch website. I was even more exited when I found out there was a whole of family of Small Batch Bourbons, so I tried the whole family. Being somewhat of a history buff, the more I learned about the history and heritage of Bourbon, the more liked it. Even if 90% of that "history" is market-speak and tall tales, Bourbon holds the same place in American history as the quarter horse, six-gun and paddle steamer.

On the advice of this forum's BOTM I'm currently working through a bottle of OGD 114, and I like it a lot. The flavor is very enjoyable even if it finishes a little too bitter for my taste. I find drinking it on the rocks eases the bitterness, but also dilutes the flavor. I guess I can't have it all.

I've also branched out and tried a straight Rye, Mitcher's single barrel I believe. I like this whiskey a lot. It tastes of green tea and finishes of cloves which I find is rather interesting. Unfortunately the taste is very faint and you roll it around on your tongue to find it, and the finish only lasts until your next breath.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to trying more BOTMs.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Hello From Arizona

Welcome to the board. That is a well-framed introduction, and I believe you will enjoy your stay here.

In Phoenix, I've found Sportsman to have a great choice of fine bourbons and ryes. Your take on the Michter's rye is accurate and you may wish to try an older specimen of rye, Sportsman's should have some good examples. But younger rye has its place, definitely.

There are bourbons, too, which offer rich flavor without bitterness, some cost a bit, but not all. Experimentation will tell you which you prefer.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-24-2008 at 18:29.

Disciple

Nice post. Welcome!

Looks like you have started off on the good foot. Many excellent choices, so far. Where do you think you will head next?

I would recommend staying with your group approach and try another family of bourbons. Maybe, BT or Wild Turkey? They both offer some great bourbons with varied ages, styles and prices.

I know you will enjoy the site, make yourself at home.

Jeff Mo.

From here I think I'll try out the rest of the OGD family, and then I hope to give the Van Winkle's a shot. I have never seen a bottle of Van Winkle's anything in any store here in Phoenix though, so I might just wonder around and check out the WT or BT families.

Thanks for the Sportsman's tip! I've been relying on BevMo and even though their website says carry the Van Winkle brands I never seem to find it on the shelves when I go there.

Guru

Welcoem... been out to your area and partaked in the Queen Creek beer more than one time. Down in Tucson now...

If you ever make it south, drop me a line.. i'll have a glass of bourbon waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Welcoem... been out to your area and partaked in the Queen Creek beer more than one time. Down in Tucson now...

If you ever make it south, drop me a line.. i'll have a glass of bourbon waiting for you.
    From where I live in Queen Creek Tuscon isn't but an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes out!

My hobbies besides bourbon are guns, ammunition reloading, and cars. Surprisingly, none of the activities mix very well with bourbon, but I deal with it somehow. In any event every once in a while a have to drive down to Tuscon to pick up a gun, car part, or whatever that I find online. Next time I have to do this, I'll drop you line!

Welcome John, Nice intro. You'll have some fun here and learn some too. I know I have. The people here are great. Again, welcome and enjoy, Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnderson View Post
    From where I live in Queen Creek Tuscon isn't but an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes out!

My hobbies besides bourbon are guns, ammunition reloading, and cars. Surprisingly, none of the activities mix very well with bourbon, but I deal with it somehow. In any event every once in a while a have to drive down to Tuscon to pick up a gun, car part, or whatever that I find online. Next time I have to do this, I'll drop you line!
    Please do... home most weekends...

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnderson View Post
    My hobbies besides bourbon are guns, ammunition reloading, and cars. Surprisingly, none of the activities mix very well with bourbon...
    Well, if Hunter S. Thompson could do it...

No matter. Welcome to SB.com.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Welcome, John!

I live in Chino Valley, up the road a piece from Prescott (home of the World's Oldest Rodeo and bumper stickers that read "So Many Phoenicians, So Little Freezer Space" ).

I don't drink much these days because of medical reasons. I still have unopened bottles I brought from CA and TX in 2004 and before. That's my way of saying I've never set foot in Sportsman's. However, I did call them up shortly after we moved here. I read a list of a dozen bottlings, and the clerk said they had all but one or two on the shelves. Never mind that the prices were ~20% higher than in L.A.

(That Gillman really gets around doesn't he? He traveled, what, 3,000 miles to visit Sportsman's? He puts me to shame. )

Not long ago there was a thread asking about people's so-called "gateway bourbons". I didn't watch it carefully, but I'd bet you are not alone in your experience of Knob Creek. In fact a set of four minis of the SBC was instrumental in my reintroduction to bourbon about 10 years ago.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,